3 + 1 Leather Recliner Sofa / Chair with a £2k Budget

Options
Anyone have any advice of where good to go, or what to look out for? 

We've always purchased 2nd hand and it's taken a long time to save this amount (credit options not available due to poor rating)

There seems very few sofa shops near us, and lots of online options..... is this the way people are buying now i.e online without sitting on them first? 
We would prefer to travel and sit on the sofa first i think. 

Any advice much appreciated as this is new to us. 

Thank you

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,207 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    This is one that I would want to try out.  Like shoes you never know if it's going to fit.  Then again I'm not a fan of online shopping.  

Any chance of a day trip to swing by the usual suspects?  M&S, John Lewis, DFS, or even (shudder) Ikea??
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • saintscouple
    saintscouple Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Brie said:
    This is one that I would want to try out.  Like shoes you never know if it's going to fit.  Then again I'm not a fan of online shopping.  

Any chance of a day trip to swing by the usual suspects?  M&S, John Lewis, DFS, or even (shudder) Ikea??
    Yeah i think we are going to have to plan a trip and make a day out of it. I was surprised to see the SCS is some 50+ miles to our nearest store, though we have a DFS nearby, and a Furniture Village. 
    The prices for furniture village look good, but went to look on Trustpilot and the reviews are shocking..... after reading those i thought DFS and the like would be equally bad, but in comparison they are good. 

Ikea was a thought, but like M&S they don't sell leather recliners. 

Thank you
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,207 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Large retailers can look bad due to one badly run store.  I'm not a big fan of DFS or Furniture Village but I do think they are a good place to look and get an idea of what you want.  Also see if there are any smaller local places - they know they have to depend on a good reputation so service may be better.  

If you go prepared with the measurements of the space to be filled and ideas about style and colour etc you can try a few options out in the shop and then walk out with all the details to take home and think over.  Most shops will be happy to take an order over the phone if you have all the details.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • saintscouple
    saintscouple Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Brie said:
    Large retailers can look bad due to one badly run store.  I'm not a big fan of DFS or Furniture Village but I do think they are a good place to look and get an idea of what you want.  Also see if there are any smaller local places - they know they have to depend on a good reputation so service may be better.  

If you go prepared with the measurements of the space to be filled and ideas about style and colour etc you can try a few options out in the shop and then walk out with all the details to take home and think over.  Most shops will be happy to take an order over the phone if you have all the details.
    Brilliant, thank you.

I see sofas online and measure them, but didn't think to take measurements of the space and tape measure with me when looking instore... i'll do that 
    We've seen a sofa and chair we like on the furniture village website, and there is a discount code... so could be better to try instore and buy online. 

I couldn't see and independents, but will have to look harder... all these large places seem to buy up top places on search results. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback