PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Christmas Lunch Hacks

Options
HoneyRoastedParsnip
HoneyRoastedParsnip Posts: 67 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
edited 10 October 2021 at 12:06PM in Old style MoneySaving
Just looking at Christmas food to order. Some seems very exciting and unique but the rest seems over priced. Why get a massive turkey when we are four people? I'll just get my usual chicken and save some money for a nice dessert I can't be bothered to make from scratch. I saw a french trimmed rack of lamb which had a breadcrumb crust - I do the same from a cook book with a normal rack and takes no time. Another example is Christmas tapas platters - crazy expensive for what they are. Marketing.

I've advised my wife to buy if it saves a lot of time or is something special only available at Christmas which we'll enjoy significantly more than the non-Christmassy equivalent. I'm trying not to be bah humbug but can't see the point in paying extra for Christmas packaging!

Any MSE ideas or advice to share to upscale or hack Christmas? 

Comments

• MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We are now vegan but I used to buy smoked salmon trimmings and blitz with cream cheese, herbs and a touch of lemon for a 'pâté'. 

I'm due a baby on the 12th so am currently trying to eat down the freezer stocks and will make and freeze most bits in advance. Christmas cake will be made next week (actually cheaper to buy but mine will be much nicer and a lovely family activity!), I'll make the 'centrepiece' (in our case a sort of posh mushroom Wellington) from scratch and freeze until the day, fraction of the price of the supermarkets branded meat free offerings. Ditto for gravy. Then will wait til last minute for parsnips, spuds, sprouts etc ..everyone always seems to panic and every year they're either 29p a bag in Lidl, get yellow stickered or (last year in my local Tesco they were) given away for free on Christmas Eve! We will buy a short time before Xmas and I'll get DH to prep the night before.

It's only one meal really and probably doesn't need vast amounts of planning.
  • HoneyRoastedParsnip
    Options
    Definitely not doing a 'mum' who panics and frets over it all day! We are moving house (and town) 20-21 Dec so just going to get a delivery 21 Dec to simplify our lives a little. 
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    Definitely not doing a 'mum' who panics and frets over it all day! We are moving house (and town) 20-21 Dec so just going to get a delivery 21 Dec to simplify our lives a little. 
    Then you will do well to have a day of rest on the 25th! I'd have a low-key celebration or be accepting an invitation out in your position.

I was unpacking boxes for weeks and am in the same position now my home renovation is done. Its the small bits that aren't often used that are taking up my time, this is my first weekend in 5 months not working and I'm inclined to chill instead of spending it on housework.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    The marketing is aimed at selling the "perfect" feast to those who cannot/ don't have time to prepare their own.

I think I'm hosting, and am planning an Italian-style meal, with antipasti to start, a porchetta roast served with polenta roast potatoes, broccoli and roasted carrots & parsnips (and probably Yorkshire puddings & pigs in blankets for the traditionalists!). Then it will be tiramisu and some of a small h/m 2020 pudding for those who want.

The porchetta, eggs for yorkies & tiramisu and bacon & chipolatas for the pigs in blankets will be Gloucester old spot from a local rare breed pig farm, the veg will be from the local veg farm, both within 5 miles of home so food miles will be low and flavour high.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • annieb64
    annieb64 Posts: 628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We are hoping our new house will be ready in early  December so am in a similar situation.  Fortunately  my family aren't  fussy. Half of them hate Turkey  and Christmas  pudding anyway so will probably ask DD1 to buy me a piece of beef and put it in her freezer and for once will buy a pudding and cake.

My main concern is that until we get a definite date we can't order a new sofa but I'm  sure we'll  manage and if we are all together it will be an improvement on last year when we couldn't  see either
  • HoneyRoastedParsnip
    Options
    Then you will do well to have a day of rest on the 25th! I'd have a low-key celebration or be accepting an invitation out in your position.

I was unpacking boxes for weeks and am in the same position now my home renovation is done. Its the small bits that aren't often used that are taking up my time, this is my first weekend in 5 months not working and I'm inclined to chill instead of spending it on housework.
    Luckily we have a full pack service and it is our 6th move in 11 years. Hopefully be the last for a while too (moving from rental to own home which we bought in May). I know we will spend 6 months plus getting things in their place but we should have a liveable space by Christmas. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure