Porridge

Hi 

I am 40 and 19 stones -6 feet 3. Alcoholic.

Doctor has issued warning to lose weight and cut alcohol.

I have changed my habit significantly. Drank only twice (this to me is massive considering I drank everyday for years in huge amounts). My eating habit has improved too. I eat porridge ever morning, 2 slices of salmon and rice for lunch and daal and two eggs for dinner. I still ate junk curry and kebab over the weekend but I think it's o and probably continue to treat myself on fri/sat.

I spend an hour on cross trainers and burn around 750 calories

My problem is I still feel weak during the week and I am not sure what that could be. I eat 150 gms of Quakers. Should I increase the amount I eat?

Also does anyone know cheaper version quakers to buy in bulk online? Quakers seems expensive.

Any other easy diet tips? Sadly I hate chicken!

Thank you.

Comments

• Don't you eat veggies? You only feel weak during the week? It doesn't seem as if you eat enough but I could be wrong. 

• acsrjsk
    acsrjsk Posts: 52
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You are right. I dont eat vegetable in my diet and never have.  Perhaps I should start
  • Have tiny amounts to start with or you could upset your digestive system and you don't want that or you will feel weaker. 

Well done btw for making such a huge life style change! 
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,740
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    acsrjsk said:
    Hi 

I am 40 and 19 stones -6 feet 3. Alcoholic.

Doctor has issued warning to lose weight and cut alcohol.

I have changed my habit significantly. Drank only twice (this to me is massive considering I drank everyday for years in huge amounts). My eating habit has improved too. I eat porridge ever morning, 2 slices of salmon and rice for lunch and daal and two eggs for dinner. I still ate junk curry and kebab over the weekend but I think it's o and probably continue to treat myself on fri/sat.

I spend an hour on cross trainers and burn around 750 calories

My problem is I still feel weak during the week and I am not sure what that could be. I eat 150 gms of Quakers. Should I increase the amount I eat?

Also does anyone know cheaper version quakers to buy in bulk online? Quakers seems expensive.

Any other easy diet tips? Sadly I hate chicken!

Thank you.
    Hello OP,

Congratulations on the amazing steps you have taken so far - that is truly fantastic.

As you have already engaged with your GP on this process, are you having any regular reviews with the GP to keep things going?  It may be worth mentioning the "feeling weak" to the GP at your next appointment just to rule out any medical cause. 

"Feeling weak" is also something that could manifest in different ways, so "weak" as in "tired / exhausted" or "weak" as in "lack of physical strength" are quite different symptoms. 

I assume in the context that you mean "weak" as in "tired".  This could be something as simple as the relative times of exercise and food intake.  You may have the correct overall daily balance but maybe eating too little before exercise so it leaves you feeling "weak" until you eat to replenish the energy depletion.  Can you assess the routine of the day to see if this could be a factor?

With regard to porridge, are you able to use a Costco store?  That's where we buy ours.  Alternatively, there are cheaper brands that you could try which you may find you like the taste of just as much.  
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,649
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Maybe worth taking a good daily vitamin and mineral supplement to ensure you aren't missing out on the essentials.  How often are you using the cross-trainer?  Sounds demanding for the early stages of an exercise regime
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,579
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    I'm a tad under 5 foot female of state pension age. Maybe half to a stone overweight.
    I have 40gms of porridge.

I buy organic from Aldi and portion it out into very small plastic containers.
    Is there a practice nurse at your surgery who can offer advice on your diet (which to me sounds very boring and would have me rushing out to the chippie)?

What is your calorie intake on the diet you have?

I agree that your diet should include more fruit and veg.

Could your weakness could be as a result of your body being denied the alcohol it's had for so many years?
    Sort-of a 'cold turkey' period until your body adjusts...

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,827
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    Firstly well done.
    Porridge is a good start to the day. There are lots of different oats or try oatmeal. Just be careful not to put sweet things with it.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Have a look at these resources, they are a good starting point and are from NHS, I on eating, the other on exercise.  Also for the alcohol, the app I am Sober is free to use and not complicated.  Keep putting one foot in front of the other.  Look for progress, not perfection.

www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well
    www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise
    App - I am Sober
  • Well done on your lifestyle change - it's amazing!

We buy porridge from either Costco or Buy whole foods online.

When I was trying to lose weight, I felt weak and low on energy. So I got my blood test done and had low iron and magnesium. Took supplements and my levels improved. Try adding multivitamins and vegetables to your daily routine.
  • Hello and well done for taking the first steps towards a healthier lifestyle. Do you enjoy cooking? Perhaps some recipes would help you to have more of a balance with fruit & vegetables. There are lots of healthier recipes all over the internet, I use the Pinch of Nom website (there are also books available)  but a quick websearch will throw lots of ideas. Also worth looking at the NHS website https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/start-the-nhs-weight-loss-plan/ to help with ideas and meals plans.
    Not sure about the price of Porridge Oats but Aldi is competitively priced on most items, including their own branded fat free greek yogurt which is popular amongst dieters. I’ve lost 4.5 stone following Weight Watchers, and I’m still on my journey. 
    Good luck you can do it. 
    To be in your child's memories tomorrow, be in their life today.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback