BT landline customers could be in line for up to £500 if new class action case is successful

in Phones & TV
8 replies 391 views
MSE_SophieMSE_Sophie MSE Staff
92 Posts
First Post
MSE Staff
BT is facing a £600 million class action case after it's been claimed some 2.3 million customers have been overcharged for their landline since October 2015.

Read the full story:
Millions of BT landline customers could be in line for up to £500 if a new class action case is successful

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Replies

• cath59cath59 Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    How do we know if we’ve been overcharged, there’s no information of how to find out?
  • Neil49Neil49 Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    cath59 said:
    How do we know if we’ve been overcharged, there’s no information of how to find out?

Quote from the article, which I presume you have read - 

"All affected customers will be automatically represented and do not need to take any steps to join the action, although you can actively opt out if you would prefer to do so – info on how to do this will be published later down the line." 

In other words, you will find out at a later date. 
  • MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    4K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    cath59 said:
    I hope that I'm in line for one of these refunds too, as I am eligible. BUT do take note of the article headline which says that BT customers COULD be in line. So you may or may not have been overcharged and as Neil49 says above, they'll let us know. In due course. . . . as ever. 
    Please note that comments are strictly my own opinion, intended to help - never hinder. If they do not help then please ignore as the intention of the forum is to help everyone, if possible. MSE forum rules clearly state "no two people have the same circumstances or experiences and it is up to you to investigate, check and check again before you make any decisions or take any action based on information you glean from our community. Remember, don't rely on what you are reading. Verify it and protect yourself. You are responsible for any action you consequently make." It's always best to verify everything. Inappropriate comments will be reported, as per the Forum rules.
  • edited 5 October 2021 at 4:00PM
    Jenni_DJenni_D Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 October 2021 at 4:00PM
    £500 / 1,000,000 = 0.05p each at most ... hardly worth the effort. (Gotta love poorly-worded headlines, eh?) ;)

I've almost always had a bundled package so I doubt I'd be eligible anyway. It's interesting that affected customers are automatically signed up though - what happens regarding costs if the action fails?
    Jenni x
  • Bigphil1474Bigphil1474 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Jenni_D - it's a potential payout up to £500 per customer, not £500 between them all.  
  • Jenni_DJenni_D Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jenni_D - it's a potential payout up to £500 per customer, not £500 between them all.  
    Woosh! You've completely missed my point. 😁

I know what it is supposed to be - but that's not how the headline reads. ;) 
    Jenni x
  • Is like the VW/Audi class action or the PPI scandal , then the packaged bank account scandal, which moved onto the PPI people took too much commission scandal.

I just can't keep up.
  • PengeskipperPengeskipper Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    My father passed away in august this year. I’m his executor, would the estate be included as eligible for any compensation? I have taken on the account in my name. Thoughts appreciated…