Sainsburys pull double up

Options
worrywart_3
worrywart_3 Posts: 500 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 30 December 2021 at 9:27AM in Gone off!
Just read that they have pulled 
it gutted 😞 

Comments

• wakeyjess
    Options
    It seems to have been confirmed on the Nectar Facebook page - there are comments on there (I can't post links to the forum yet or I'd link it up direct).

I asked in-store this morning and a staff member confirmed in a roundabout way "it's cancelled but we aren't allowed to talk to anyone about it". Apparently there have been a lot of very unhappy staff members when the briefing went out, never mind customers who'd found out in other ways. Although the offer's never been guaranteed to continue, to shut it off at this late time of year just when it was about due is a bit of a rotten thing for Sainys to do.

That, plus running down weekly points offers in favour of a cheaper-shelf-price type system like Tesco and Morrisons, and haphazard implementation of Nectar Connect (it's very hit-and-miss)... well, I wonder if they're quietly starting to wind Nectar down.

(As a footnote, we're among the people who save points - it was going to be replacement crockery this year - and I went to eBay to spend them instead... except that bit's broken too and you can't currently redeem points...)
    Jessie Rowbum 🏳️‍🌈 One of "them lot" the Daily Mail warns you about.
    Codes, cooks, makes music, takes photos, dances in the kitchen, performs musical cabaret as The Bleeding Obvious.
  • briskbeats
    Options
    A friend of mine who works for Sainsbury’s is glad it’s stopped. Her reasons were:

. Past couple of years- it has been on smartphone or apply online before the redemption period. Customers that don’t have any the staff  could ring Nectar and do it manually which was very time consuming.
    . Customers thought they could redeem it on any wine. It was ONLY on Taste The Difference wine, Sherry, port and sparkling. Her store got at least four customers doing this per day!
    . One idiotic customer thought it was Double Up for everything. He put through £80 of stuff (meat, beer etc) and handed a £40 double up, If customers could redeem their DU on anything, Sainsbury’s would be almost bankrupt.
  • JP1977
    JP1977 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If this is true and they've not given notice to those who saved Nectar Points for the whole year specifically for this promotion (like I have) - that's harsh. I for one will vote with my wallet and boycott both Sainsbury's and Nectar for this underhanded tactic - they have knowingly let people collect points only to pull the rug at the last minute - it wouldn't be so bad if they said 'this is the last one', to give people a chance to adjust, but this is plain and simple deception.
    I work near a Sainsbury's and visit at least twice a week, I use the app to buy things for the points promotions as well as buying things that are not in the app when I'm there too, but it's the points and the promise of the double up that draws me in - without this draw, I'd sooner go to Aldi.
  • worrywart_3
    Options
    Yes I have written on the Sainsburys Facebook page and written to the ceo and allready has a very poor response it’s very very underhand to pull it weeks before it was due when I’ve saved all year for it and bought things on offer ie for extra points thinking I was going to get double for them I use it for presents at Christmas when traxkk on changed their promtotion from 4x to 3x they gave ample warning to let people exchange their saved up points. This new promotion is useless giving money off might as well shop at aldi, and just get the cheaper prices.
  • worrywart_3
    Options
    JP1977 said:
    If this is true and they've not given notice to those who saved Nectar Points for the whole year specifically for this promotion (like I have) - that's harsh. I for one will vote with my wallet and boycott both Sainsbury's and Nectar for this underhanded tactic - they have knowingly let people collect points only to pull the rug at the last minute - it wouldn't be so bad if they said 'this is the last one', to give people a chance to adjust, but this is plain and simple deception.
    I work near a Sainsbury's and visit at least twice a week, I use the app to buy things for the points promotions as well as buying things that are not in the app when I'm there too, but it's the points and the promise of the double up that draws me in - without this draw, I'd sooner go to Aldi.
    JP1977 said:
    Absolutley this is what I wrote the the ceo they should have let us use them this time and then withdrawn to pull it a couple of weeks before is totally out of order I will also be boycotting them.
  • pumpkin89
    Options
    It just seems bizarre timing - I wouldn't have been at all surprised if they'd pulled the offer last year, since COVID would have been a perfect excuse not to encourage thousands of people to visit on one specific weekend - but they kept it going then.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback