Trainline european tickets

Used the trainline app in Holland.  The QR didnt work at the gates nor did any of the reference numbers on the ticket work when seeking help at the station desk.  

So in my eyes, the service trainline offered didnt work.  So surely a full refund no questions asked?  Wrong.  In a nutshell they said they’re not liable and best they can do is contact the rail carrier which takes 3-4months for a response.  With perhaps leading to no resolve.

Surely this cant be right can it?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, the fare was not a massive amount but the principle that they’re perhaps doing it to so many has me on my hi-horse on this one.  

Thanks team

Comments

• martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My heart sinks every time Trainline is in a post as invariably people pay more than booking directly for travel in the UK or elsewhere and it complicates making complaints when you are dealing with an intermediary.
    I would claim with S75 protection if you used a credit card and it was over £100 or a chargeback via your bank.
    Next time buy an OV-chipkaart at a station in Holland for travel in NL.  There is excellent information on the bible for international rail travel on seat61.com

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,510 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 30 September 2021 at 10:31AM
    My thoughts too.

Trainline is the equivalent of visiting a travel agent for Easyjet flight tickets.  It makes no sense.

• Thanks team,

cant do the S75 as it was only £12.  Only decided to go further with the investigation as nearly missed the journey and having to fork out another ticket, with those points they say its still not their problem 🤣.  Amazing

I’ll be sure to use another service definitely.  Thanks again
  • jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I've used bahn.de for trans European rail tickets and never had a problem with qr codes not scanning, in Poland, Netherlands, France, Germany, Belgium, Italy. 
  • martindow
    bahn.de is also excellent for looking up train times across Europe (including the UK).
  • As a visitor to the Netherlands it's easy enough to buy etickets directly from NS - their website and app can be used in English.

No need to line the pockets of Trainline. 
    testing 123
  • martindow
    As a visitor to the Netherlands it's easy enough to buy etickets directly from NS - their website and app can be used in English.

No need to line the pockets of Trainline. 
    For most journeys in the Netherlands fares are priced per km and there is noadvantage in booking ahead.  It is only for Eurostar or Thalys and the like where booking is necessary.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback