Would a second job increase amount I am able to borrow?

Hi all, I have taken up a second zero hours job and plan to earn extra money towards getting a place. The amount will fluctuate quite a  bit between £100-£500, I'm wondering if this income could be taken into account to increase the amount I am able to borrow as a FTB, and how much of a multiplier it would be.

Thanks again.

Comments

• Yes, but as a 2nd job on zero hours you will need to be in it for 12 months prior to application

• Yes, but as a 2nd job on zero hours you will need to be in it for 12 months prior to application

Would banks give a 4x - x4.5 on these earnings?
  • generally most lenders will add both jobs together and treat as one income.  Some will only use 50% of it though.  

I dont like using income multiples as they can be wildly off depending on other outgoings but if you are fairly straightforward then 4.5x is a ok guideline
  • snowqueen555
    snowqueen555 Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 May 2022 at 8:54AM
    Hi all, can anyone update me on this? I now have 9 months worth of slips, but looking to see how much I can borrow. Would I be better off going to a mortgage broker to help me out? 
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Pretty much as every lender will differ. Some will work off the last 3 months payslips, others the last 6 and some might not accept you until you have 12 months. 

I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • snowqueen555
    ACG said:
    Pretty much as every lender will differ. Some will work off the last 3 months payslips, others the last 6 and some might not accept you until you have 12 months. 

If I am looking to buy what is the next process, really struggling at the moment. Would a broker be able to help me out to find out which banks would be most suited to my situation?

Thanks
  • K_S
    K_S Posts: 6,725 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    @snowqueen555 Your options are likely to be quite limited due to it being a zero-hours contract and having a <12m track record.

Generally speaking, the lender will want to make sure that the second job is sustainable (can be carried on long term along with your main job) and not simply to temporarily boost your borrowing.

It's definitely one for a broker, please see here for MSE guidance on how to find one.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/best-mortgages-cashback/#step3

I am a Mortgage Adviser - You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. 

PLEASE DO NOT SEND PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.

• snowqueen555
    K_S said:
    @snowqueen555 Your options are likely to be quite limited due to it being a zero-hours contract and having a <12m track record.

Generally speaking, the lender will want to make sure that the second job is sustainable (can be carried on long term along with your main job) and not simply to temporarily boost your borrowing.

It's definitely one for a broker, please see here for MSE guidance on how to find one.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/best-mortgages-cashback/#step3
    So probably best waiting until I get 12 months of slips I guess before exploring? Thanks

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback