Equity release mortgage under age 55?

Hello, advice hugely appreciated!
My husband and I bought a house in cash that has needed a lot more renovation money injected than anticipated and we are now in the position of needing to borrow. We are in our mid 30s. The house price was 155k, we are looking to release 50-70k. I thought equity release would be straightforward but it seems this is only available to 55+ 
What are our options?

Comments

• Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 28 September 2021 at 9:43PM
    You are looking for a mortgage on an unencumbered property. 
    You are essentially just taking out a normal mortgage. 
  • london21
    london21 Posts: 2,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I am in my 30s and just got re-mortgage offer from Virgin money for an unencumbered property.

Banks like Barclays, Virgin money etc will be able to help you, mine was owned for less than 6 months, if over 6 months even more choice of lenders. 
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,433 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 29 September 2021 at 4:31PM
    You are confusing your terminology Widders.

You are seeking a remortgage on an unencumbered property, to raise capital for refurbishment . Most lenders will do this for you.

The only complication will be if the condition of the property is a problem due to you being 'mid build'. If for example you have gutted the kitchen but not yet fitted a new one, or if there is a hole in the wall where the extension is going.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback