Call 159 to beat bank scammers

Options
If you're worried you've been contacted by a suspicious number claiming to be your bank you can now call '159' from your landline or mobile, which guarantees you a secure line with your bank to verify the original phone call. It's part of a UK-wide initiative launched by industry group Stop Scams UK and non-profit organisation Global Cyber Alliance.

Read the full story here:
'Worried you've been contacted by fraudsters pretending to be from your bank? You can now call 159 to check'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Arthurian
    Options
    I think this scheme might do more harm than good.  As Martin says, hanging up and dialling 159 from the same phone can still get you through to the scammer, but this new scheme will probably make many people will feel (falsely) reassured.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Arthurian said:
    I think this scheme might do more harm than good.  As Martin says, hanging up and dialling 159 from the same phone can still get you through to the scammer, but this new scheme will probably make many people will feel (falsely) reassured.
    It shouldn't do any more. That was a flaw in the phone system, and now fixed.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • gawilson1
    Options
    I just tried 159 from my mobile and " number not recognised ". I am with ID mobile.
  • keithyno.1
    Options
    gawilson1 said:
    I just tried 159 from my mobile and " number not recognised ". I am with ID mobile.

I just tried the same from my mobile and got “You have dialled an incorrect number. Please check the number and re-dial.” I’m with Virgin Mobile, who are of course part of Virgin Media which is one of the telecoms firms listed as taking part in the scheme.

And yet dialling it from my Virgin Media landline it DOES put you through to the options list!

So it would appear, going off my experience and that of gawilson1’s, that not all mobile providers are on board with the scheme. Which largely defeats the object of it, as vast numbers of people (I’d even suggest the majority) just don’t use landlines anymore and make ALL their calls on mobile phones.
  • Jenni_D
    Jenni_D Posts: 5,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 6 October 2021 at 3:32PM
    Options
    Ectophile said:
    Arthurian said:
    It shouldn't do any more. That was a flaw in the phone system, and now fixed.
    For landlines? If you now hang up a landline (where you received a call) it disconnects the call completely? (Mobiles have always worked this way, but landlines historically have only ended when the caller hangs up. The scam was that the caller played a dialling tone if the receiver hung up and then listened for the tones of the receiver calling a number, whereupon the caller would pretend to be the person/company being called).
    Jenni x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure