GP Referrals/specialist hosp appointments and moving out of area

Good afternoon, 
I am currently awaiting a specialist referral (appointment is coming up in two months) - but it appears i will have moved out of the area, about 100 miles away - by the time the appointment comes up
What is the process here, do i need to go to a new GP in new area and ask them to re-refer me in their area? as have already had quite a wait, but unsure if this gets sent to a specialist in my new area or what happens
With love, POSR <3


  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    16.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Assuming it's still the same as about 7 years ago.

    Yes, you will have to start over with a new GP referral, unfortunately the old consultant / GP don't transfer you to someone within your new location.
  • kirtondmkirtondm Forumite
    436 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Your other option is to keep the appointment 100miles aware and then get the specalist to transfer you if a follow up is required.

    Either way you will got the bottom of the list in the new area + esentially start again
  • I was referred to gastroenterology, then I moved while waiting for my referral. I ensured my posts was re directed and when I got the appt, I rang to change my address. I had to travel further to go to the hospital but all of my results went to my new doctors surgery. Other option is you'll have to syart again with your new doctors.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

British Gas prepay meter users... pay less for gas from 1 April

MSE News

The 'odd Easter flavours' thread 2023

What bizarre food stuffs have you spied?

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools