Rip of train ticket insurance

Anyone have any advice on how to approach this?

We we’re going on a family weekend to London. Bought advance non refundable train tickets but also added £5 insurance option. Low and behold I test positive for c19 and we can’t travel. Every other booking was refunded no issues, however, when I make a claim on the policy COVID isn’t covered as “it could have been foreseen”. Does this seem right?

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,223
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    What did the insurance terms and conditions say about Covid? 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Well when you book it it’s tick the box to add the order but when you try and claim the T’s and C’s appear as if by magic. I think I’m stuffed TBH.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,370
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Which site did you book through?
  • Neruda
    Neruda Posts: 97
    Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Rick1001 said:
    Well when you book it it’s tick the box to add the order but when you try and claim the T’s and C’s appear as if by magic. I think I’m stuffed TBH.

And what specifically do those T & Cs say about Covid? Depending on this, you might be able to get help from the Ombudsman.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,514
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Rick1001 said:
    Well when you book it it’s tick the box to add the order but when you try and claim the T’s and C’s appear as if by magic. I think I’m stuffed TBH.
    I know it may be only £5 but not worth purchasing a policy without checking that it is suitable for your needs. I note on Trainline they say they send you the full policy details after you have purchased but you then have 14 days to cancel
  • thanks for the replies. It was the trainline I booked it through. I think the last post is the lesson……read the Ts&Cs. I didn’t so basically wasted the £5, just annoying.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,370
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Trainline - the Ryanair of the rails!

It's another example of why they are best avoided.

Withholding the full details of an insurance policy until after you have purchased, putting it back to the customer to request a refund if it doesn't meet their needs, can't be right.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,744
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Trainline states "Details of policy limits, conditions and exclusions can be found in the policy wording and IPID e-mailed to you as part of the insurance policy purchase."

from What travel insurance do we offer and how do I make a claim? : Trainline Customer Service | Help, Support and FAQs (thetrainline.com)

What does it state in the policy terms that were emailed to you regarding Covid?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback