Learning to walk before I run

Options

Comments

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    @kaycastle - that's pretty typical in our area, I think builders price to postcode. Our house might "only" be worth £250k, but we live in the cheapest part of a lovely area. For example, a nice 4 bed elsewhere in our town would be £400-500k.
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,155 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Also I don’t spend £300 on myself (pocket money) in a year. I’m not sure I’ll be able to suggest much! 
  • edinburgher
    Options
    @VintageHistorian - bulk buying on offer is a good idea - I've done a bit of that in the past. I think gifts is definitely going to take a little while to normalise, but I'm optimistic. 

I've been able to identify c. £500 of savings for October without tackling groceries, holidays or pocket money. I think it will be November before I can get an idea of the new budget
  • kaycastle
    kaycastle Posts: 358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 September 2021 at 10:00PM
    Options
    @kaycastle - that's pretty typical in our area, I think builders price to postcode. Our house might "only" be worth £250k, but we live in the cheapest part of a lovely area. For example, a nice 4 bed elsewhere in our town would be £400-500k.
    Didn't mean any offense or anything :) I think if you can get some quotes just to check, you might get lucky and find you need less. Worth a go!

Well done on the newly identified savings!
  • edinburgher
    edited 12 September 2021 at 10:13PM
    Options
    None taken kaycastle - unfortunately we know of a couple of families who live within a few blocks of ourselves who have been quoted £80-90k for two storey extensions. We'd like two storeys at the side and a kitchen/diner at the back. Allowing for the work + a new kitchen etc. it doesn't seem too crazy compared to the other quotes of which we're aware. But yes, will need to get our own.
  • kaycastle
    Options
    None taken kaycastle - unfortunately we know of a couple of families who live within a few blocks of ourselves who have been quoted £80-90k for two storey extensions. We'd like two storeys at the side and a kitchen/diner at the back. Allowing for the work + a new kitchen etc. it doesn't seem too crazy compared to the other quotes of which we're aware. But yes, will need to get our own.
    Ahh that explains it, I just assumed you meant a bedroom extension, that's why I thought it was steep :) I have to do the same sort of thing but I have a bit more time and I'm going to try to get away with just needing a loft extension.

Cornish mums advice is excellent. Can't wait to see the budget adjustments you make! 
  • BookWorm
    BookWorm Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Ed. I just wanted to stop by to say congrats on your baby news - that's lovely.   I don't have any advice to offer but I'm sure lots of these lovely wise people will be be able to help.  Best wishes BW x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback