Adding partner to Mortgage and Land Registry

pusbpusb Forumite
23 Posts
Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi,

Within the last month my fiancé has moved in with me. We've agreed to put half of my house into her name.

From what I have read the names on the mortgage has to match what is kept with Land Registry, and vice versa.

I'm unsure as to which needs to be done first.

The mortgage is up for renewal in a few months, is it easier to just wait until then and renew the mortgage in both our names?

I'm sure this is a common situation so I'm hopeful of advice on here!

Thanks

Replies

• ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    89.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Both will need to be done at the same time by the solicitor handling the mortgage on behalf of the lender. 
  • FashionHeartFashionHeart Forumite
    97 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    pusb said:
    Hi,

Within the last month my fiancé has moved in with me. We've agreed to put half of my house into her name.

From what I have read the names on the mortgage has to match what is kept with Land Registry, and vice versa.

The mortgage is up for renewal in a few months, is it easier to just wait until then and renew the mortgage in both our names?

Thanks
    We're in the same boat as you.

You would both need to apply for the mortgage at the same time so that the Solicitors can make the transfer. 
  • JonMitchellJonMitchell Forumite
    278 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    pusb said:
    Hi,

Thanks
    Save yourself some money - when renewing your mortgage to eg a new lender, get the transfer of equity done at that time. If you start TOE done now, it may complicate things as your current lender will do a credit check for your partner, one hard search. Then if you remortgage to a new lender, another hard search done again.