Electrician does not drive

OK, so this is a weird one, but I'd like to hear your opinions.
I'm currently looking at hiring an electrician to do lots of different work around the house and have found one that seems really knowledgeable and has been very helpful so far. My issue is that he does not drive and will be using public transport to get here! Surely as a leccy, you'd need to have a van with lots of electric stuff in it, or am I wrong?

Comments

• dil1976
    dil1976 Posts: 484 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No you are correct they really should have there own transport, not sure how they will get their tools and materials to site.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It rather depends what sort of electrical work you want him to do. A full rewire would be difficult to accomplish using public transport (but these days it is possible to get the materials deliver to site), but a small moves and changes might only require the handtools and materials that be carried in a backpack. 

If you have a concern, why not ask him if you can talk to a previous client. This is probably a good idea anyway, and you can ask how the electrician managed the work without a van.

The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Why is this your problem?  If he is competent and you trust him to do the work - hire him.  If you think he won't be able to do the job properly for lack of tools / will always turn up late and blame the bus / will suddenly ask you for lifts to the nearest supplier - keep searching.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • MJM1972 said:

really knowledgeable and has been very helpful so far. 
    That seems to outweigh not having a car. As above, it depends on the work you want doing but if it's something that can easily be done with the right mix of small hand tools there really shouldn't be a problem.
  • dil1976
    MJM1972 said:

really knowledgeable and has been very helpful so far. 
    That seems to outweigh not having a car. As above, it depends on the work you want doing but if it's something that can easily be done with the right mix of small hand tools there really shouldn't be a problem.
    They must be either really good to be able to pick and choose the jobs they take or really tall as there are not many jobs a electrician does that doesn't involve stepladders
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Has he never driven or is a temporary/new thing due to illness/ban?

He's presumably pretty good if hes able to make a living doing it via public transport. They don't need as much stuff as you'd expect; the last few I've had have just had a standard car with some tools in the boot, but he's at a serious disadvantage if he discovers mid job that he needs to grab something from screwfix.

If you're happy with how he's presented so far, then give him a go and see how you get on.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Possibly doing this as a part-time job, maybe semi-retired? He might have a relative or friend in the trade who can deliver tools etc? If you are concerned, ask him.
    Have you checked his registration? That's more important than how he gets around.

No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • cattom
    cattom Posts: 259 Forumite
    First Post
    I couldn't help laughing when I read this! a sparky with out a van?. what does he do when he needs to carry rolls of wire, tools and other building materials? unbelievable.
    43722 Posts: 230 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Does he not drive even an electric car?
  • dil1976
    macman said:

Have you checked his registration? That's more important than how he gets around.

What registration? There is no requirement for a electrician to be registered with anyone!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback