We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Tax code for DC pension

2»

Comments

  • squirrelpie
    squirrelpie Posts: 1,796
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    mika_dm said:
    Do you have to do this every financial year or just when you get the first ever payment?
    You have to do it the first time you make a withdrawal from a particular provider. After that they receive a tax code from HMRC and use that from then on, from year to year if nothing changes.
  • Sorry folks, I didn't provide enough info in my original post.

    I have already made one UFPLS withdrawal. In the previous tax year I withdrew £16,666 (ie the personal allowance plus 25%), fidelity took off a lot of tax and I reclaimed it using the form (P55?). I did this just to take advantage of the personal allowance as I had no other income. 

    I qualify for my DB pension in February next year. My plan was to ask the DB provider how much I will get in this tax year (ie February and March payments) and take the remainder of the personal allowance from the DC pot, again to take advantage of the personal allowance. ie if my pension payment is, say, £2,570 for Feb and March combined take £13,333 from the DC pot, then going forward try to get a tax code allocated to the DC pot so future withdrawals are taxed at 20%.

    I would welcome any further opinions.

    Thanks 
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,669
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Sorry folks, I didn't provide enough info in my original post.

    I have already made one UFPLS withdrawal. In the previous tax year I withdrew £16,666 (ie the personal allowance plus 25%), fidelity took off a lot of tax and I reclaimed it using the form (P55?). I did this just to take advantage of the personal allowance as I had no other income. 

    I qualify for my DB pension in February next year. My plan was to ask the DB provider how much I will get in this tax year (ie February and March payments) and take the remainder of the personal allowance from the DC pot, again to take advantage of the personal allowance. ie if my pension payment is, say, £2,570 for Feb and March combined take £13,333 from the DC pot, then going forward try to get a tax code allocated to the DC pot so future withdrawals are taxed at 20%.

    I would welcome any further opinions.

    Thanks 
    Looks a good plan but from my limited experience you might find the DB scheme a bit wary of giving you an exact figure in advance , so you might have to estimate and maybe reduce the DC withdrawals a bit to be on the safe side.
  • Sorry folks, I didn't provide enough info in my original post.

    I have already made one UFPLS withdrawal. In the previous tax year I withdrew £16,666 (ie the personal allowance plus 25%), fidelity took off a lot of tax and I reclaimed it using the form (P55?). I did this just to take advantage of the personal allowance as I had no other income. 

    I qualify for my DB pension in February next year. My plan was to ask the DB provider how much I will get in this tax year (ie February and March payments) and take the remainder of the personal allowance from the DC pot, again to take advantage of the personal allowance. ie if my pension payment is, say, £2,570 for Feb and March combined take £13,333 from the DC pot, then going forward try to get a tax code allocated to the DC pot so future withdrawals are taxed at 20%.

    I would welcome any further opinions.

    Thanks 
    Looks a good plan but from my limited experience you might find the DB scheme a bit wary of giving you an exact figure in advance , so you might have to estimate and maybe reduce the DC withdrawals a bit to be on the safe side.
    Or leave the DC withdrawal at £10k and if you end paying a bit of tax overall at least Rishi Sunak will be pleased.
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 5,902
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Sorry folks, I didn't provide enough info in my original post.

    I have already made one UFPLS withdrawal. In the previous tax year I withdrew £16,666 (ie the personal allowance plus 25%), fidelity took off a lot of tax and I reclaimed it using the form (P55?). I did this just to take advantage of the personal allowance as I had no other income. 

    I qualify for my DB pension in February next year. My plan was to ask the DB provider how much I will get in this tax year (ie February and March payments) and take the remainder of the personal allowance from the DC pot, again to take advantage of the personal allowance. ie if my pension payment is, say, £2,570 for Feb and March combined take £13,333 from the DC pot, then going forward try to get a tax code allocated to the DC pot so future withdrawals are taxed at 20%.

    I would welcome any further opinions.

    Thanks 
    Looks a good plan but from my limited experience you might find the DB scheme a bit wary of giving you an exact figure in advance , so you might have to estimate and maybe reduce the DC withdrawals a bit to be on the safe side.
    Or leave the DC withdrawal at £10k and if you end paying a bit of tax overall at least Rishi Sunak will be pleased.
    ...and more importantly you will have maximised use of your tax free allowance, hence I'd rather go slightly over than slightly under. Paying (a little) income tax is generally a good thing - it means you have a higher income, which is a good thing.

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.