Removed from my council housing register

The council has suspended me from the housing register application where I have been bidding on houses. I am living with my family in an overcrowded house with three young children. They removed me from the council housing register because they said I have an interest in the property I am currently living in. 

The issue is that I helped my parents re-mortgage the house as they needed funds for a small extension at the back of the house. Because of their age and income, they were not eligible. So, I thought I would help them. So we did a re-mortgage with Barclays who do a Sole Proprietor, joint borrower application. This means the bank takes into consideration my income and credit history to increase the chances of getting the mortgage approved.

I am not on the Mortgage Deed and I don't pay for the mortgage. The whole point was to simply help my parents and as a result I have suffered because the council has removed me from the application. I have appealed this decision, but I was wondering if there is any way around this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.


  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    16.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    If your name is on a mortgage application, this would suggest you could have an interest in your parents' property. 
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Did you know there's an MSE app?

It's free & available on iOS & Android


Regifting: good idea or not?

Add your two cents to the discussion

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools