Refund Vortex with Virgin Atlantic and Travel2Be/TravelGineo

Hey Everyone,

I'm posting to see if anyone has thought of actions that I'm not taking to resolve this issue.

1. We booked a flight through Travel2Be back in December 2019. Obviously, Corona hit and the flight got cancelled.

2. We then requested a refund, but Travel2be were impossible to contact during that time and Virgin would only offer flight credit. So we took the credit and rebook for August 2020 having paid just over £200 extra for a different flight. The total is now just shy of £750. The second payment is with Virgin, not the agent.

3. The flight once again got cancelled and we've been held in credit since on an open ticket. We've now realised that flying any time in the near future is not possible as we are starting a family and want to claim our money back.

4. Virgin's refund team say that I must claim from the agent (even though some of what is owed I paid directly to virgin). The agent says that unless the airline cancels then they can't refund me. The ticket shows as active because it's held as an open ticket from Virgin's end. 

Each firm passes me back and forth. 

What would you do to move this to resolution? I'm thinking of requesting a section 75 on my credit card, but it's two separate payments almost 6 months apart. 

Replies

• eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    20K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3. The flight once again got cancelled and we've been held in credit since on an open ticket. We've now realised that flying any time in the near future is not possible as we are starting a family and want to claim our money back.
    What are the terms of the open ticket that you now have, i.e. do they allow cancellation with a partial or even full refund?  You would (or at least should) have had refund rights earlier in the process when flights were cancelled but accepting (or at least not rejecting) an open ticket effectively supersedes those rights, so if you're now choosing not to fly then you're subject to the terms of the ticket you now hold, regardless of what went before.

Having accepted an open ticket, it's unlikely IMHO that you'd get anywhere with s75, as it would be difficult to make a case for breach of contract, and the purchases from multiple suppliers also cloud the issue.
  • LetsBinformedLetsBinformed Forumite
    4 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    In early Auguest, I booked flights through Travel2Be for 17-22nd Sept with Loganair. Payment was taken from my bank account under the name TRAVELGENIO. They sent me a confirmation number saying I was booked. When I went to check in a message came up saying my reservation had been cancelled. I had not received an e ticket.  I tried to call and email Travel2be but got no response. Travel2be  t & C say if there was a problem that I needed to contact the airline so I then called Loganair. Loganair inform me that I do not currently have a confirmed booking with them as we do not currently operate a Southampton to Dublin service. So it would seem I have been booked on a bogus flight. I came across an email for Travelgenio on this website but have heard nothing from them.  I have now contacted my bank and raised a dispute over this.  It is almost 2 years since I've seen my family due to COVID and this trip was very very important to us. Getting another flight now at such short notice is out of the question as it's far too expensive for me. To say I am distressed is putting it mildly. 
  • Caz3121Caz3121 Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Travel2be/Travelgenio has a terrible reputation and there are 10,000's of warnings out there. As with the majority of third party floggers they have adverts for non-live flights and prices. You say you got a confirmation which I suspect is their confirmation to you that they had received your booking request which should have been followed up within a couple of days with confirmation that they had been able to action the request a a confirmed booking had been made with the airline and ticket issued.
    It sounds like in your case they were unable to fulfil the request, often this is because the advertised fare had sold out (maybe months before) and ask for more money or sometimes they just do nothing and the booking cancels, in your case their advert was for a flight that was not operating. 
    Loganair are correct that they do not 'operate' flights on the Southampton to Dublin route, they sell tickets under a codeshare agreement and the flights will be operation by Blue Islands for a service commencing 28th March 2022
    There do not appear to be any carriers operating that route till then.
    Interesting when looking at a search on Google Flights it does return results for this month with 3 options for booking, Crystal Travel, Kiwi and with Loganair but when clicking through to the Loganair site there are no flights till end March (same on the Blue Islands website) I suspect if click through to either of the other 2 they would happily take your money and leave you fighting for it back when they realised they could not supply anything,

Bank should reverse the payment as you have received nothing. (sometimes the 'hold' drops off after a few days, sometimes you need intervention)
    In current times you should be looking to book direct with the airline, you will find live flights and fares and the added benefit that if your flight is subsequently cancelled you would be due a full refund. Did you see in the t&cs you agreed to how much Travel2be would have charged you if you had a ticket through them and the airline cancelled?

4 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi Caz3121, thank you for your response and help. Yes I looked at the t & C for travel2be and they charge £50 handling charge if airline cancelled. I will book direct with airline going forward. I raised dispute over this with my bank yesterday. Also I will contact my mobile phone provider to raise dispute over trying to call Travel2be and put on hold (premium charge) for 8 minutes. It is worth a try and it is important to raise this issue. I will update when I hear back from my bank Natwest as to whether I get full refund. Thank you again and take care
    4 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hello again, just to give an update on my issue/scam booking through Travel2Be. Natwest were very prompt in responding to me and within 2 days notified that they were putting the money taken for the airline ticket back into my account whilst they were investigating the issue. They used the word temporary meaning should Travel2Be reimburse me the bank would take the money back. I really appreciate Natwest's response and gesture. 
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    12.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello again, just to give an update on my issue/scam booking through Travel2Be. Natwest were very prompt in responding to me and within 2 days notified that they were putting the money taken for the airline ticket back into my account whilst they were investigating the issue. They used the word temporary meaning should Travel2Be reimburse me the bank would take the money back. I really appreciate Natwest's response and gesture. 
    temporary means if Travel2Be dispute the refund the bank will withdraw the money and give it back to Travel2Be
  • rigolithrigolith Forumite
    539 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Depends if their dispute prevails or not. At worst they should only take the amount they can contractually charge for changes and cancellations.
    4 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Good news. I also contacted O2 as I had made a couple of calls using my mobile to travel2be to try to get clarification as to why my reservation had never been made  which where premium calls and where I was put on this looping type of answer system.  O2 have kindly agreed to credit me for the cost of these calls and were happy to know about this scam to help safeguard other clients.