Future Proofing my life: Deposit saving then MFW journey in under 13 years

Options

Comments

• LadyWithAPlan
    Options
    Mon MSE victory

Hope everyone had a good start to threweek.

Today I decided to take the plunge on my robo mop vacuum. Wavered between one for £110 (it had been £200) and a roomba combo I could get down to  £250 - both of which friends had recommended - they both had great vacuums but said both mops were more a surface thing,  Decided as trying to save to £100k (from my 68k approx)  that £150 was a 666th of it ;)  so lets go cheaper..

Saw the MSE amazon offer 'get £6 if you transfer £50 to the amazon gift card ;)  THEN I   remembered I had some cash left on  a gift card I had won  £62.11 - so I transferred that all so got  the free £6 ;) THEN there was a voucher on amazon for £10 to buy it.. So in the end the £110 robo vac came to £31.88 actual cash spent.  This is my first proper MSE check all the vouchers and ways round to get something cheaper

Even better was I had been given some birthday money which was more than this £31.88 amount  - so using the difference against either my Sept sewing course or DIY course but popped it into savings anyway...

In anticipation of the Thurs arrival of my robot (he needs a name -  R2D3? or ...)   I have now vacuumed and mopped so he can start clean. This is the version of cleaning before the cleaner comes round.... but I think it will make me more focused if it is on most days as I will need to ensure wires and shoes dont get in its way. So motivation to ebay and declutter as well. 

So very excited as got an absolute bargain and it was on my wish list.. It was my only spend

.... Sounds like my dad and mum got covid last week  .. Dad first but  has recovered after a few days and then mum. Luckily she is now out of bed, having stayed in bed for 3 days which she never does. She still has no taste  buds or smell  and got that cough still. . I was worried but they both dbl vaccinated and sounds like they on the mend luckily. 

Also I was paid an invoice today - I am waiting to see how much the monthly Marcus interest is (normally in by the 14th!) and then I will transfer to make it an exact £00 amount tomorrow so I will declare that tomorrow.

August  Free Money  = £50.88
    Nectar  points used £17.50 
    Green Jinn £1 + £2.13 I did not know was there  + £1 = £4.13 - waiting on £1 to process
    Co-op  75p + 50p 
    £12 Too good to go voucher
    £10 uber eats voucher 
    Amazon £6 gift card offer

Current Goals
    Savings         
     16/08/21                           £67,869.30/ £100,000       £32,130.7  to go
    House savings 11/08/21   £67,711.70  
    There will always be a (beautiful stilettoed) foot in fabulous in LaPlan's life.
    I am choosing to be fabulously frugal to support some wonderful life changing and affirming financial goals including buying a London home I love.

DON'T BUY STUFF (from Frugalwoods)
    No seriously, just don’t buy things. 99% of our success with our savings rate is attributed to the fact that we don’t buy things. You can’t really hack your way to frugal. You can and should take advantage of discounts, coupons, rewards points, and the like. But at the end of the day, the only way to truly save money is to not buy stuff.    Money doesn’t walk out of your wallet on its own accord.

My March  streaks to track
    Track Minimalist game  items (Nov 310)   (Dec  95)  (Jan 90)   Feb 50
    Exercise streak  
    YNAB days:: Target 50 days -Age of money 29
    Track my NSD's - Target 13 days/ 0/13

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6289577/future-proofing-my-life-deposit-saving-then-mfw-journey-in-under-13-years#latest
  • Chiglepig
    Chiglepig Posts: 611 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Mon MSE victory

In anticipation of the Thurs arrival of my robot (he needs a name -  R2D3? or ...)  

You are not a proper robo vac owner until it has a name :D, ours is 'Vaccy' (he/him), but I do know someone with a "Derek' - interesting that women gender them male!

Absolute MSE bargin!
    2014 starting mortgage £165,000
    2015 second charge £20,000 - Jan 2021 paid off in full
    Current outstanding balance - £115,856

• LadyWithAPlan
    LadyWithAPlan Posts: 2,238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Chiglepig said:
    Mon MSE victory

In anticipation of the Thurs arrival of my robot (he needs a name -  R2D3? or ...)  

You are not a proper robo vac owner until it has a name :D, ours is 'Vaccy' (he/him), but I do know someone with a "Derek' - interesting that women gender them male!

Absolute MSE bargin!
    I am so proud of myself . All those hours reading everyone's diaries..

Vaccy works 😊
    I am not sure why I know the robot is male but I do.. Maybe cos its 'man made'? 

Like a pet or a baby I am gonna see what springs to mind when I unbox him. 
    There will always be a (beautiful stilettoed) foot in fabulous in LaPlan's life.
    I am choosing to be fabulously frugal to support some wonderful life changing and affirming financial goals including buying a London home I love.

No seriously, just don’t buy things. 99% of our success with our savings rate is attributed to the fact that we don’t buy things. You can’t really hack your way to frugal. You can and should take advantage of discounts, coupons, rewards points, and the like. But at the end of the day, the only way to truly save money is to not buy stuff.    Money doesn’t walk out of your wallet on its own accord.

Exercise streak  

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6289577/future-proofing-my-life-deposit-saving-then-mfw-journey-in-under-13-years#latest
  • Grogged
    Grogged Posts: 865 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Our R00mba is called roomy, which clearly shows a total lack of imagination...
    It's our second, as the first tripped and fell down the stairs... 😟
    Great devices though.

Our have heating is MrHeaty, so obviously a pattern developing...
    We haven't named the cars or anything else though...

I love how you have to tidy up before it arrives!
    (To be fair, we did too, it seems inbuilt behaviour 🙂)
    Glad you're parents are on the mend, it can be nasty.

Take care, G.
    If it's not adding up, compound it!
  • SandyShores
    SandyShores Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Well done for such a bargain.  Its so much nicer than taking it out of savings.  Ours is called Robbie (the robot).  Although DH calls him Boris for some reason :smiley:  
    Mortgage 31May est. £183,500 £244,947, Ends Jan'38 Jun'39 (target Feb'31)
    H2B Loan Est: £75k (accord to NW) - saved for Jun25 so far £15

EF £6,325; Personal savings (PBs/ISA new car fund): £2200
    Check Seven Goals Regularly; Work-life balance.
    Celebrate being 60; Be 'Good Enough'
    Books Read: stuck on no.6 in 2024
  • LadyWithAPlan
    Options
    @SandyShores I would not want that reminder -uggh

@Grogged Mr Heaty is cute! I dont think my floor  has been this clean in ages ;) The start  of a new era hopefully.

Current top name is Ben - I went on a few dates with a guy who then revealed that when he was not earning enough to cover his mortgage, he became a butler in the buff  and made a fortune. I am not sure if this has come up as a top MSE way to earn extra cash but...
    I never actually saw him in the buff but he looked like he lived in the gym... But I will wait til Ben/R2D3 arrives before deciding his name ;) 

Exercise streak  

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback