Apprenticeship Training Agreement

I started a level 7 apprenticeship last year and I was made to sign a training agreement stating that if I was to leave the company within 12 months of qualifying for any reason then I would be liable to cover the training costs, book costs and exam fees'. This statement didn't give an amount I would have to pay back. Just that I would be liable for the costs associated with training. I've had conflicting advice from ACAS, the national apprenticeship service and free legal advice. Some have stated that because it's government money and the company is a levy paying organisation then they can't ask for the money back. However, some have said that because I've signed this document, then this agreement overrides this and I can be held liable if I was to leave. Can anyone offer any advice?

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,661 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    KT1995 said:
    I started a level 7 apprenticeship last year and I was made to sign a training agreement stating that if I was to leave the company within 12 months of qualifying for any reason then I would be liable to cover the training costs, book costs and exam fees'. This statement didn't give an amount I would have to pay back. Just that I would be liable for the costs associated with training. I've had conflicting advice from ACAS, the national apprenticeship service and free legal advice. Some have stated that because it's government money and the company is a levy paying organisation then they can't ask for the money back. However, some have said that because I've signed this document, then this agreement overrides this and I can be held liable if I was to leave. Can anyone offer any advice?
    I'd be interested to know who said this - but it does depend on the exact phrasing of the question you asked each organisation, whether you are in a true 'apprenticeship' and, if so, how it is being funded.

The apprenticeship funding rules as of April 2021 say the following:

E69 To use funds in your apprenticeship service account or government-employer co-investment, the individual (the apprentice) must:
    E69.3 Not be asked to contribute financially to the cost of training, on-programme or end-point assessment. This includes where the individual has completed the programme successfully or left the programme early. Costs include any co-investment or additional training and assessment costs, above the funding band, that you have paid directly to the main provider where this is part of the agreed apprenticeship. 
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • KT1995
    KT1995 Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post
    Thank you Marcon. That advice was given through a free legal service and also by a member of the national apprenticeship service. However when I rang the national apprenticeship service again they told me different. I keep getting different advice, so not sure what to do. 
  • oh_really
    oh_really Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    You need to seek advice form an accountable source, are you a trade union member?
  • KT1995
    First Post
    No, I've never been part of a trade union
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    That may have been a standard term for all sorts of training - not just apprenticeships - and they have not updated it.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • KT1995
    First Post
    NBLondon said:
    That may have been a standard term for all sorts of training - not just apprenticeships - and they have not updated it.
    Do you think my employer could enforce it?
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    By requesting that condition the employer is infringing the apprenticeship funding rules.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback