ICYMI Tesco rebranding all Tesco Metro stores to Tesco Express

edited 27 September at 7:19AM in Gone Off!
15 replies 797 views
MrsStepfordMrsStepford Forumite
827 Posts
500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
✭✭✭
edited 27 September at 7:19AM in Gone Off!
It hasn't been mentioned much and I only saw it on Twitter this week - apologies if this has been covered already.

It will cost Tesco money to convert the stores from Metro to Express eg signage. This might be tax deductible as a business expense.However, long term, the move will save Tesco money and put prices up for customers. Why ? Tesco Metro stores are included in the Aldi price match and Tesco Express stores aren't, so former Metro stores will see prices rise to match those in existing Express stores. 

Tesco to rebrand Metro stores as Express format - Retail Gazette

Has this happened in you area already ? If not, be assured that it will, as Tesco is getting rid of Tesco Metro as a brand. 

Replies

• jon81ukjon81uk Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought the Metro prices were already higher than the superstores anyway.

Sainsburys got rid of the Central brand years ago, surprised Tesco kept the Metro one for so long.

Although some Metro store are possibly big enough to just be superstores, I would have thought some possibly were just "Tesco" 20+ years ago before all the separate brands.
  • Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think its going to dent Tesco's footfall one iota, because location is everything. People who shop in Tesco Express stores do so for the convenience and are prepared to pay a few pence extra for it.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • pumpkin89pumpkin89 Forumite
    331 Posts
    100 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    The article says 89 of them are being rebranded to Express and the other 58 are going to be superstores (i.e. standard Tesco).

The superstores will still have Aldi price match etc. so the impact for customers will be minimal.  But you're right, Express is very different.  I wonder if the range will be trimmed down to match the Express format as well?  I can't see any positives for customers, which is probably why this hasn't been widely publicised outside the trade press.
  • chuckie851chuckie851 Forumite
    17 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I went to my local Tesco Metro today and there were massive price increases on a lot of everyday items. Maybe it's changing to Express next week?  I walked out without buying anything.

I have a question about what effect this will have on nearby shops because I noticed some big increases in Heron as well.  Do the others like B&M or Heron stop competing when there's no longer a big supermarket to compete with?
  • briskbeatsbriskbeats Forumite
    307 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I went to my local Tesco Metro today and there were massive price increases on a lot of everyday items. Maybe it's changing to Express next week?  I walked out without buying anything.

I have a question about what effect this will have on nearby shops because I noticed some big increases in Heron as well.  Do the others like B&M or Heron stop competing when there's no longer a big supermarket to compete with?
    There’s a TE next door to Heron down a row of shops 2 miles from here. 

This Heron and the one in the city centre have the same prices. Though the Heron is on the same road as Iceland,
  • anotheruseranotheruser Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tesco Metro stores are included in the Aldi price match and Tesco Express stores aren't, so former Metro stores will see prices rise to match those in existing Express stores.
    Or just that they want to streamline their business, brand and processes?

Either way, I think you need a little more foil for your hat :P
    If I don't provide specifics to a question, don't ask for them in your answer.
    When I want specific answers, I'll provide the information.
  • k3lvck3lvc Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭

Would be useful to have a definition of 'massive' and on what sort of items - given what's likely to happen over the coming months as commodities increase you may be doing a lot of 'walking out'
  • edited 3 August at 5:11AM
    General_GrantGeneral_Grant Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 August at 5:11AM
    k3lvc said:

Would be useful to have a definition of 'massive' and on what sort of items - given what's likely to happen over the coming months as commodities increase you may be doing a lot of 'walking out'
    Not sure about "massive" and I don't buy much at Tesco but last week I noticed in a Tesco Metro compared with recent price (which is still the online price and therefore presumably available in regular Tesco/superstores):
    Bananas - loose - 75p/kilo (was 73p)
    Creamfields UHT skimmed milk - 53p(?) (was 50p)
    Springforce jumbo kitchen roll - 95p(?) (91p in Tesco (as online))

The ? marks are because I'm not completely sure but the prices were definitely more compared with the bracketed prices.
  • GaleSF63GaleSF63 Forumite
    994 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco (and other supermarkets) prices have gone up steadily over the last few years - and no doubt before - so I don't know if it's possible to "blame" anything in particular for recent rises. 
  • General_GrantGeneral_Grant Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    GaleSF63 said:
    Tesco (and other supermarkets) prices have gone up steadily over the last few years - and no doubt before - so I don't know if it's possible to "blame" anything in particular for recent rises. 
    That's general price inflation.  This thread is really about differential pricing - Tesco Express being more expensive than Tesco Metro.