Fan For The Home - Wrong Again

Options
So for some reason, I always seem to get wrong fans when purchasing them. These fans look all good on the listings, until i set them up and all they do is blow around warm air....

What fans/air conditioners do you guys use, which blows out ice cold air and cools you down? Hopefully through all these recommendations, I can have my final purchase -_-

The best fan I ever purchased a number of years ago was the dyson fan, but thats 300-500 - 

Thanks again

Comments

• jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dranzer01 said:
    So for some reason, I always seem to get wrong fans when purchasing them. These fans look all good on the listings, until i set them up and all they do is blow around warm air....

What fans/air conditioners do you guys use, which blows out ice cold air and cools you down? Hopefully through all these recommendations, I can have my final purchase -_-

The best fan I ever purchased a number of years ago was the dyson fan, but thats 300-500 - 

Thanks again
    All fans just blow around the air that is in the room. If the air is warm then thats all there is for it to blow around, even with a £300 Dyson fan. Fans cool you down by helping create a breeze causing sweat to evaporate from your skin more easily.

If you want cold air then you need an air conditioner that will then chill the air before blowing it at you, removing the hot damp air via an exhaust that needs to go out a window. Air conditioners are £300-£500 minimum
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,898 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jon81uk said:
    dranzer01 said:

Thanks again
    All fans just blow around the air that is in the room. If the air is warm then thats all there is for it to blow around, even with a £300 Dyson fan. Fans cool you down by helping create a breeze causing sweat to evaporate from your skin more easily.

If you want cold air then you need an air conditioner that will then chill the air before blowing it at you, removing the hot damp air via an exhaust that needs to go out a window. Air conditioners are £300-£500 minimum
    I have air con but it doesn’t have an exhaust that goes out of a window. It’s similiar to the ones you have abroad, it’s wall mounted and there is an outside unit on the other side of the wall. It’s fantastic air con in the summer and as a heater in the winter. Best £1500 ever spent. 
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • grumpyoldwoman
    Options
    I had air con installed in 2007, one outdoor unit runs three indoor units and they can all be used together or separately, and can be used for heating in the winter. It did cost over £5000 but it's the best thing I've ever done.

The cheapest alternative would be an air cooler, which is like a fan but you can put water and ice blocks in it and then a fabric belt gets soaked in the ice cold water and the air is blown through that so cooling it.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    One thing you can do with an ordinary fan is to put it right in front of an open window so that it actually pulls in some fresher air
  • BlueMeany
    BlueMeany Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 July 2021 at 9:16PM
    Options
    Look for a Dimplex MontBlanc Tower Fan... fantastic bit of kit. Highly recommended. Think I got mine from Argos a year or so ago... dunno if you'll be able to find one in this heat though.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jon81uk said:

Probably also good me mention thats fans also increase the temperature in the room by you know rotating a fan! Not by much and even less in those dyson thingys (but not by much).

sarah1972 said:
    jon81uk said:

I have air con but it doesn’t have an exhaust that goes out of a window. It’s similiar to the ones you have abroad, it’s wall mounted and there is an outside unit on the other side of the wall. It’s fantastic air con in the summer and as a heater in the winter. Best £1500 ever spent. 
    Really? So the fact it goes though the wall and has a massive unit outside (which yes, is the way to do it) really erquates to "it does not go out the window". I think they were more meaning needs an exhaust to get rid of the heat more than the out the window you dived on!

But anyway, the smart mopney is on heat pumps these days since they are reversable so can heat or cool as you like. Of course agian they cost more!

OP, depend on how much you want to spend and look into what things do. Want cooling? It's either an exhaust of some kind or some box of ice you put in front of the fan which cools by turning the ice into water you have to empty somewhere.

Another thought is why is it so hot? Would some insulation help? Thinking like an open plan conservatory here as the classic example. It will bun you in summer and take all the heat out in winter, a half decent insulation roof repalcement would help. Though of course there are many other example of the same sort of thing but not a conservatory (think where is the heat coming in).

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Meaco 1056, as recommended by Which?. Pricey, but very, very quiet.  Hugely cheaper than the Dyson, probably a lot more reliable, and also quieter.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,898 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Carrot007 said:
    jon81uk said:

Probably also good me mention thats fans also increase the temperature in the room by you know rotating a fan! Not by much and even less in those dyson thingys (but not by much).

sarah1972 said:
    jon81uk said:

Really? So the fact it goes though the wall and has a massive unit outside (which yes, is the way to do it) really erquates to "it does not go out the window". I think they were more meaning needs an exhaust to get rid of the heat more than the out the window you dived on!

But anyway, the smart mopney is on heat pumps these days since they are reversable so can heat or cool as you like. Of course agian they cost more!

OP, depend on how much you want to spend and look into what things do. Want cooling? It's either an exhaust of some kind or some box of ice you put in front of the fan which cools by turning the ice into water you have to empty somewhere.

Another thought is why is it so hot? Would some insulation help? Thinking like an open plan conservatory here as the classic example. It will bun you in summer and take all the heat out in winter, a half decent insulation roof repalcement would help. Though of course there are many other example of the same sort of thing but not a conservatory (think where is the heat coming in).

Mine is a heat pump, it’s heating in the winter and cooling in the summer, I thought I had already said that? Not sure that I dived in, merely commented that it doesn’t go out the window. 
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • jellybaby1968
    Options
    As an alternative to the ultimate and probably best option, that being air conditioning, we opt for Meaco UK fans. Having first come across them last year we now have three of them in various sizes! The MeacoFan 1056 Air Circulator is the most effective. We wouldn't be without any of them in this weather :-)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback