The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Lack of communication from Mortgage Advisor??

Hi All,

First post so sorry for the long ramble!

As a first time buyer I am new to the whole process and what are acceptable timelines and the level of communication I should be expecting from my mortgage advisor as they are obviously dealing with multiple clients at the same time so they are extremely busy so I do not want to be one of those over bearing head wreakers if I can help it.

I am posting here to maybe get some views and put my mind at ease a little so I can either stop over reacting and let the chips fall as and when they are ready or if I should trust my instincts in that the communication is not up to scratch.

A little background she got my AIP done quickly enough after first speaking to her and I received my MOS on the apartment I want to purchase on the 5th July (the contract exchange deadline is the 6th of August). She was extremely fast to communicate during this whole initial process.

Since I forwarded my MOS to her on the 5th we have set at least 5 appointment times to process the full mortgage application and she has missed all 5, the first 2 times she text to ask if she could postpone to new dates and/or times as she had run over on other tasks, I had no problem with this as these things happen and she communicated this. The remaining 3 times she has set date and times and missed them and then radio silence, no communication as to why until I would chase sometimes days later and ask what happened and if we could re arrange, I have told her yesterday that I am feeling a little anxious of the fact we have not applied for the full mortgage yet and she said 'I am on it' and that we would do the appointment today at 10am, and yet again she missed this and I still have not heard from her as to why the appointment did not happen again.

While I understand things come up, people get busy or sick etc I am finding it a little unprofessional that appointments she is making are coming and going with no communication to advise she will be delayed at the very least. 

Am I over reacting in expecting some kind of a communication if she can't follow through on an appointment she has made? Should I be contacting the agency she is with and asking for my case to be reassigned?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated and taken on board, even if it is chill out you are being too demanding.

Thanks 
K

Comments

• K_S
    K_S Posts: 6,694
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 20 July 2021 at 2:27PM
    @kacey21 At the outset, my comments are based purely on the limited info in your post :)
    I'm struggling to think of any excuse why a broker would miss 5+ appointments for a client who has had an offer accepted and needs to proceed with a full mortgage application! Perhaps she is a one-person band and there is some personal emergency that you aren't aware of, but if it is was me I would just refer you on to another broker inside/outside the firm that I trust to provide a good service.
    You are a saint and you need to speak to someone else in the firm to eithr understand what is stopping this from progressing to a full application, assign the case to someone else so that the application can be submitted or find another broker who can.

I am a Mortgage Adviser - You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. 

PLEASE DO NOT SEND PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.

• jord411
    jord411 Posts: 33
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi 
    This behaviour is not acceptable in my books from a mortgage broker .

we are currently remortgaged and went back to my last broker . She did similar to your and booked appointments , then cancelled . One I texted abs wanted to confirm the time and she told me she was still away on that she went later then planned . She clearly knew she would be away for my appointment .
    She the messed me around more then said she could call me that night . I kid you not .. she was on the phone with me for 6 minutes and in that time she was still printing all my stuff off!
    She then gave me a load of rubbish which was not true . Safe to say I went to another broker and they got exact what we wanted . The original broker then that the cheek to call me and leave a really rude voicemail about me going with someone else .

of I was you I would 100% move to another broker . 
  • lonibra
    lonibra Posts: 365
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    YANBU, not at all! He has either messed up and can't actually get you a mortgage (but is procrastinating with facing up to it) or he's in his notice period and can't be bothered. You need to find another MB asap.

My MB goes on top-gear once my offer is accepted, every time - asks for documents and submits the application the day she gets them. Never ever missed an appointment, that's just unprofessional.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,677
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Find a new broker. If someone missed 2 appointments, that would be enough for me. 
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 20 July 2021 at 5:18PM
    Move on. Whatever is happening in the individuals personal life is unfortunate but that's how things are sometimes. 
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,412
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    As stated above, therefore is no way you should be messed around like this.

This Broker may have issues that are causing her workload problems, fair enough if that is the case. However, if any Professional cannot assist you in good order they should be upfront about it and suggest you move on.

Contact a new Broker today.

I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback