Cheap train tickets

Angelique888Angelique888 Forumite
1 Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi. I will be picking up my son from their dad's in Morpeth on the 10 th of August. I have a Railcard for the singles coming back with the children but I will be on my own on the way up. So far, It comes up at 90 pounds for a return by splitting the tickets. Leaving from Derby at 8:45 and coming back from Morpeth 11:45 (not direct) and arriving back at 15:26 in Derby. Just wondering if there were any cheaper tickets? I do this journey every half-term. Many thanks.

Replies

• NerudaNeruda Forumite
    21 Posts
    10 Posts
    I presume that you mean that you have a Family Railcard (which can be used only when you are travelling with at least one child). This means that the cheapest way to make this trip is to borrow a child from a neighbour so that you can use the railcard when you are going to collect your children and also when you are coming back after returning them. If this is not possible then buy ONE return ticket Derby-Morpeth- Derby just for yourself without child or railcard, and ONE return ticket Morpeth-Derby-Morpeth for yourself with children using the railcard.

This link is for an online tool for finding cheap tickets through journey-splitting:
    https://www.trainsplit.com/timetable_fares.aspx