Chin up bar and plan - will this work

Options
Apologies for a long post.  When coming back from serious shoulder injury I managed to do press ups by doing them against the wall and then when I could I do 100 (of very easy press ups) then lower the level until I can now do about 20 normal press ups.  Not amazing but considering my injuries I am pleased.

Anyway for chin ups I was thinking of buying this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B092W1K44V#customerReviews

And a) putting it between in a door frame and b) doing chins up with my feet on the floor and raising the level as I get strong.
A) Do people think that it will stay in place (I weight 90Kg)
B) Will I eventually be able to do chin ups like this?

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Every friction-fit bar I've known fails very quickly, often at first use, and anything that clips onto the architrave is just going to pull the architrave off. I would suggest you need a bar that has cups that you screw into the door frame.

The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    If you have a physiotherapist, are they happy for you to be doing this sort of exercise as rehab after a serious shoulder injury?

I ask because although I consider myself fairly fit and do quite a bit of weight-training, I've always suffered really badly with one dodgy shoulder and purposely avoid certain exercises.  (And one of those is press-ups.  If you aren't doing them with really good form you can easily cause a lot of shoulder damage if you've had any soft-tissue injuries.  I avoid bench press for the same reasons).

I also now use a lot of resistance band exercises.  I used to laugh at these when my wife got some because I didn't think they were "proper" weight training.  In fact they're brilliant and give a much better range of movement for joints like the shoulder than anything else.  I use the tubing type of resistance band that you can get with clip on handles and even a door anchor.  By combining bands of differing resistance you can do light workouts for rehab and heavy ones to gain strength.

Something like this (this is just an example, not a recommendation):  BESTOPE Resistance Bands Set Exercise Bands, Resistance Bands Set Men Workouts With 5 Fitness Tubes, 4 Foam Handles, 2 Ankle Straps, Door Anchor, Home Gym Equipment for Yoga Pilates Strength : Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

If you go to Youtube you can just search for training videos by trying "resistance bands shoulder injury" etc.  Also if you look at the Athlean-x channel and search shoulder injury you'll get a lot of advice on exercises NOT to do.

But if you want to persist with pull-ups, I agree with tacpot12 above.  Try to get one that has support cups you can screw to the door-frame.

Oh - and big congratulations on gradually building up from wall press-ups to being able to do 20 proper push-ups!  I haven't been able to do 20 press-ups since I was a teenager!  Well done!
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    This is akin to asking for and receiving medical advice, which we're not supposed to do (I was suspended a couple of months ago for being involved in a thread where people were giving minimal advice).

BUT before you do anything please do see your GP. You could do permanent damage if you do the wrong thing. Please get some professional help.

And that's all I can say because otherwise, I could be struck off! (From this forum, that is)
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Thomas_Holding
    Options
    If you have a physiotherapist, are they happy for you to be doing this sort of exercise as rehab after a serious shoulder injury?

I ask because although I consider myself fairly fit and do quite a bit of weight-training, I've always suffered really badly with one dodgy shoulder and purposely avoid certain exercises.  (And one of those is press-ups.  If you aren't doing them with really good form you can easily cause a lot of shoulder damage if you've had any soft-tissue injuries.  I avoid bench press for the same reasons).

I also now use a lot of resistance band exercises.  I used to laugh at these when my wife got some because I didn't think they were "proper" weight training.  In fact they're brilliant and give a much better range of movement for joints like the shoulder than anything else.  I use the tubing type of resistance band that you can get with clip on handles and even a door anchor.  By combining bands of differing resistance you can do light workouts for rehab and heavy ones to gain strength.

Something like this (this is just an example, not a recommendation):  BESTOPE Resistance Bands Set Exercise Bands, Resistance Bands Set Men Workouts With 5 Fitness Tubes, 4 Foam Handles, 2 Ankle Straps, Door Anchor, Home Gym Equipment for Yoga Pilates Strength : Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

If you go to Youtube you can just search for training videos by trying "resistance bands shoulder injury" etc.  Also if you look at the Athlean-x channel and search shoulder injury you'll get a lot of advice on exercises NOT to do.

But if you want to persist with pull-ups, I agree with tacpot12 above.  Try to get one that has support cups you can screw to the door-frame.

Oh - and big congratulations on gradually building up from wall press-ups to being able to do 20 proper push-ups!  I haven't been able to do 20 press-ups since I was a teenager!  Well done!
    Thank you.  It is actually easy to go from no strength to be able to do 20 press ups.  You just do wall ones (anyone can do very high wall ones) and just go down and down.
    Obviously pull ups are not quite so easy because it is much harder to cheat and reduce the cheating overtime.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback