Returning faulty fridge item

edited 25 July at 2:05PM in Gone Off!
5 replies 183 views
asher_ezekielasher_ezekiel Forumite
2 Posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
edited 25 July at 2:05PM in Gone Off!
I purchased a chilled food product from a local supermarket last week with a use by date of 13/07/21. It's now gone mouldy and I tried to return it but they refused as they said they can't guarantee the conditions it was stored in at home. I know that a non-faulty perishable product can't be returned but does this apply to a faulty product too?

Replies

• edited 8 July at 9:22AM
    jon81ukjon81uk Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 July at 9:22AM
    Which supermarket?

I've had this sort of thing with Tesco before and they gave a double refund with no trouble.
    But Asda were super grumpy about it, reluctantly refunded and refused to fetch the manager to discuss the issue.

I didn't phone or anything, just took the item back to customer service desk.
  • sarah1972sarah1972 Forumite, Board Guide
    16.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I purchased a chilled food product from a local supermarket last week with a use by date of 13/07/21. It's now gone mouldy and I tried to return it but they refused as they said they can't guarantee the conditions it was stored in at home. I know that a non-faulty perishable product can't be returned but does this apply to a faulty product too?
    I totally agree with them, how do they know your fridge temperature is correct? Left on the side etc etc. My husband works for a company that supplies meat to the trade and it’s all accepted after looking at it at the point of delivery. No refunds would be given after delivery is accepted as storing by the consumer is unknown. 
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards & Competitions
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • briskbeatsbriskbeats Forumite
    317 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    My work always refund chilled things that have gone off/mouldy before the date as just needs a tiny hole in the packaging to cause this.

Though we don't refund customers returning something that day and realised that they bought the wrong product later that day as esp this time of year, may not have been in a fridge between purchase and attempted return. You only have 30 mins window so if discovered its the wrong item when loading the car, that's fine.
  • JaneDoeJohnDoeJaneDoeJohnDoe Forumite
    301 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Maybe a word with council environmental heath dept?

• McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've taken mouldy in date to both Lidl and Aldi. 
    Refunded with no problem or replacement if I wished. 
    As above it just takes a tiny breach in the packaging and its doomed
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.