Never had an account with Barclays but now received text about mortgage fund??

Hi, I received a text from "Barclays" saying: "We released your mortgage funds on xxxxxx. For more details search Barclays Track It and use your Online Banking details or xxxxxxxxxx and your postcode." (Numbers replaced by x to keep anonymity).

The thing is, I've never had any banking relationship with Barclays. I checked my credit reports on all 3 credit agencies and don't see any search from them lately.

Is it possible that someone accidentally filled in MY number for their application? Or is it a scam? Is there something I should do?

Comments

• cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 4,879
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    It's likely that your number has been miskeyed along the way. Obviously if you call Barclays - you won't be able to verify yourself as 'the customer' so it's unlikely they'll discuss it with you personally - but you could give them a ring (maybe through their fraud helpline - as that'll likely be easier to get through on) and inform them that you are receiving text messages quoting the details you've got - and that whoever should be getting them, isn't. They then may be able to contact the real customer and make the relevant correction. That's what I'd try if I was in your situation. Otherwise, if they aren't interested, I'd ignore it, unless the messages became regular and annoying, to which then I'd make a written complaint. 
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,254
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 30 June 2021 at 7:52AM
    okigen said:
    Is it possible that someone accidentally filled in MY number for their application?
    Of course. It's always possible for somebody to mistype a number.
    Or is it a scam?
    What would the scam be? They're not asking you to e.g. call them back with your login details etc.

I would just ignore, given the content it's likely to be a one-off rather than something sending you further messages.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,709
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Be very very carefully this could be the start of a scam.
    If you reply to them they  know it's a valid mobile number and might come up with a !!!!!! and bull story about someone using your details to get a mortgage.
    Now just to confirm what bank do you use, mother's maiden name and year born.
    They may ring dozens of times winning your confidence. 
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,254
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    dimbo61 said:
    Be very very carefully this could be the start of a scam.
    If you reply to them they  know it's a valid mobile number and might come up with a !!!!!! and bull story about someone using your details to get a mortgage.
    But they're not even asking for a reply. It looks like an authentic notification of a mortgage drawdown.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,378
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Just ignore.

It would not be the first time a phone number was miskeyed into a mortgage application.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback