Gifted deposit - reasonable request?

Hi,

Hoping someone can provide me with some advice and assurance in my current situation. 

I am currently in the process of remortgaging my property to raise capital for an investment property. The deposit for the investment property will be £200k and I am able to raise a maximum of £175k from remortgaging. 

I will be receiving the remaining £25k from from my brother and sister. My mortgage broker has requested for a gifted deposit form to be completed and 3 months bank statements for both my brother and sister to be provided. I have never been in this situation so just wanted to know if this was a normal request?

Thank you in advance for any advice/help/assurance!

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,514
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Money Laundering checks. I provided a deposit for my daughter and was required to sign a letter confirming that this was a gift and not a loan (it was) and provide bank statements / evidence of source of the funds.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,366
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes, perfectly standard. 
  • Caz3121 said:
    Money Laundering checks. I provided a deposit for my daughter and was required to sign a letter confirming that this was a gift and not a loan (it was) and provide bank statements / evidence of source of the funds.
    Thank you for your reply and assuring me it’s normal! I have done this previously but was only asked to sign the gifted deposit letter however this was many years ago. 

I assumed the solicitors would have been asking for this but good to see lenders checking everything properly too. Thanks :smile:
  • Everyone in the transaction will be held liable if they are found to have failed to spot money laundering.  This usually ends up with various people asking for the same documents.

On one hand you can think 'well the solicitor will be checking all that so the mortgage broker doesn't need to', but in reality everyone will just be covering their backsides to ensure they aren't on the hook for a financial penalty 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback