Get ex partner off mortgage without consent

We moved into our house about 4 months ago with a new mortgage as joint owners. She has not paid any  of the mortgage payments. I continue to pay the full amounts each month. She has lived away from the property for a while. Can I get her removed from the mortgage without her consent, due to her non payment. As above I can take on the full payments on my own salary.

Comments

• short answer No.  

Long answer,   you need the lender to agree to remove her on the basis that you pass affordability calculations on your own (doesnt matter if you think you can afford it, it only matters if you pass the lenders affordability calculator),  you then pay a fee to the lender to process it, and then pay fees to get a solicitor to remove her from the title. She will need to sign a few forms with the solicitor to allow this.  
  • Thank you. So if she refuses to sign the forms, she probably won't, then she cannot be removed?
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,369
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Not unless you can clear the mortgage by other means, which would generally mean selling the property (which she could be forced to do).
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,615
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    You would have to go to court and obtain a power of sale for the property if you are unable to secure the cooperation of the other party.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback