Debts and Lump Sum Offer

Hello

After suffering a breakdown after debt worry, I am being given support in dealing with them.

I have managed to rack up  £45,000 over the last 15 years, which is humiliating.

A family member has come into money and offered nearly £30,000 to pay off some this debt, which I am incredibly grateful for. 

Some of my debts have defaulted after months of non payment, the rest are in arrears

I want to do what is right by my debts but also given myself an opportunity of a clean slate.

Should I use the money to clear as much debt as possible and then set up a payment plan for the remainder? Or attempt full and final settlements and try and clear everything now.

Thanks for any insight or advice that can be given.

Mesut

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 25 June 2021 at 8:25PM
    Full and final settlements every time, your creditors most likely have already had their pound of flesh from you, you never repay defaulted debts in full, as the debt companies that bought your accounts, did so for far less than there face value, so they can easily afford reductions.

Just remember there is a process to follow, and it will be more of a marathon, rather than a sprint, don`t expect instant results from this, creditors love to drag things out.

Usual process is this -

CCA all relevant accounts - any that come back unenforceable, put to bottom of the pile.

National Debtline have a very good template letter you can use for making offers, always do this in writing.

Start low, you can always increase your offer.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Mesut84
    Mesut84 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. 

Should I engage with the credit card providers who have yet to default? Or wait for them to default and sell on the balance?

Mesut 
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 26 June 2021 at 11:24AM
    Original creditors will be very reluctant to make any significant discounts, this is because you have yet to break the terms of your contract with them, you only do so when you default, so you can try a settlement offer, but don`t be surprised if its rejected outright, or what is offered, is significantly less than you expected.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback