Debt advice please

Options
Hi just after a bit of advice regarding my debts. In quite a bit of debt  been like this for over 5 years or so.
My debts are quite large  39500 total.
I have had a plan in my head regarding these debts for some time now but i just want to make sure we are doing the right thing.

Comments

• JTaylor82
    JTaylor82 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    In the last 5 years  we have completely changed are ways in terms of budgeting as i and my partner was really out of control with spending. 
    For the past 5 year we have paid our  5 creditors  £10 each  only 2 got sold on  all defaulted over 5 years ago.  I have managed to save 25k over this time some of it I inherited.
    We want to buy a house in the next year  when my credit file is clean.
    Would  continuing as i am for a couple years with the small payments and  go in a iva in a few years time  be an option
    any advice would be great. 
    Cheers
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,914 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If you were very lucky, and very canny, you could possibly partially settle that 40k of debt with the 25k you have saved.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • JTaylor82
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi i did think about it but it means it would almost certain mean i cant buy a house. If was younger  100%. But if i do this it would set me back another 5 years  and houses are so expensive especially  with a small deposit. After years n years off high private rent im desperate  to have a stable own home for family.
    Maybe im looking at it all wrong
    unsure.

• MrFrugalFever
    MrFrugalFever Posts: 1,232 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I am uncertain as to how it is possible for your credit file to be ‘clean’ next year when you haven’t paid your debts off. These defaults stay on your credit file for 6 years and if you have just made token gestures then the debt will still be showing. 

If entering an IVA or going bankrupt you will have to put that £25k in to the agreement.

i think you’ll need to clear your debt first and wait 6 years til your credit file is clear before you can even consider a mortgage?
    Save £5k in 2024 challenge #32
    Saved Total = £1,560.26 / £5,000

Secured/Unsecured loans x 0
    Credit Cards x 6 (total limit £24,250)
    Creation FS Retail Account x 1
    0% Overdraft x 1 (£250)
    Mortgage x £140,250
    Debt = £549.00 (0%APR due 22nd July 2024)

Charity fundraising goal for 2024 = £1,000 for animal rehoming / dog fostering etc
  • JTaylor82
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My defaults are over 5 years old so 8months they will be off my file
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JTaylor82 said:
    My defaults are over 5 years old so 8months they will be off my file
    They will if you hadn't paid for the 5 years. Because you have been paying 10.quid a month your acknowledging the debt so it doesn't become statues barred.

Also if you are looking at a house they will take your debt into consideration and possibly take off the full debt amount off what they would loan you for a house so you may need to look for houses under what you were going to get.

Although I didn't have debt I bought a house with my partner way under the max of what they would offer me. 
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• JTaylor82
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yea but the mortgage lender wont know will they as it will be off my credit file
  • JTaylor82
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I maybe wrong thou  not sure tbh
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

They won't be off your file as your still paying for them. You still acknowledging the debt so it will stay on your file. 
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• JTaylor82
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ahhhh  didnt no that 
    god knows now
Meet your Ambassadors