National Insurance Number issued in a name I don't know at my address

Options
Vbert1
Vbert1 Posts: 2 Newbie
First Post
Received a letter from Department of Work & Pensions yesterday confirming the issue of a new National Insurance Number to a person I have never heard of at my home address. I have spent all day trying to get through to the Glasgow NINo number with no success. The call is answered by automated service and when you select the option it claims you are being transferrred to an operative but I then got cut off. I am concerned someone is using my address for fraudulent purposes but I do not know what to do if I can not get through to the government department. 

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,392 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sounds like you'll probably need to write to them if phone contact isn't viable - even if there is anything untoward happening it's unlikely that you'd be directly affected, but worth resolving.

By the way, you've posted this on a board for discussions about coronavirus and travel, hopefully an administrator or board guide will move it somewhere more suitable!
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It could be related to benefit fraud, so you could report the NI number using this online service: Report benefit fraud - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)  The downside to doing this is that your address might be marked in some way, and anyone else claiming benefits from your address may be subject to extra checks. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Options
    It could be something as simple as human error.
    You live at 57 and the person it refers to lives at 75.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Try phoning as soon as lines open and be first in the queue
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,047 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    Sounds like you'll probably need to write to them if phone contact isn't viable - even if there is anything untoward happening it's unlikely that you'd be directly affected, but worth resolving.

By the way, you've posted this on a board for discussions about coronavirus and travel, hopefully an administrator or board guide will move it somewhere more suitable!
    Struggling to think of the ideal place.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Return the letter saying opened in error nor known at this address. 
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Don't worry on Monday 10th May 2021 Ipswich Council tried to say I had moved to Ramsgate which by the 11th May the almighty Ipswich council were backtracking saying ohhhh ! we believe you haven't moved (well why say then and be unequiped for folk who will fight you) I asked simply to see house sale and deed records As if the day before was for fun and giggles whilst I want very serious answers as to how come I ended up in Ramsate on 27th April 2021.
    4 weeks of a SAR to DWP later to no response.. Not a surprise. Posters on here said it was a recuitment agency who managed to make a P45 out in correctly and not get it right on the tax record was no real biggie and that I should be forgiving - parrr 
    No one make truly makes this mistake.
  • Vbert1
    Options
    Apologies for posting in wrong place I hadn't appreciated I posted into another topic. It's been a while since I used the forum but thank you for the advice. I phoned at point the lines opened and got through this morning on 3rd go. They are going to investigate and call me back. My main worry was it was some time of fraud with someone trying to create an identity at my address. Hopefully it is just an admin error. 
  • Anyanka1
    Anyanka1 Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    National Insurance numbers used to be issued from a central point, the National Insurance Records Office based in Longbenton, Newcastle upon Tyne.  Perhaps you could try them.
  • Anyanka1
    Anyanka1 Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    This could actually be relevant:  I received a call today from some robot recording threatening all sorts about "suspending my National Insurance account" and referring to "criminal activity".  It was patently a scam and I have reported it to Action Fraud, whose website states they are aware of this and other scams relating to supposed calls regarding HMRC and Covid vaccines.

I am an ex-civil servant who used to work for the DE, now the DWP so I know "suspending" someone's NI account is total BS and did not press "1" as instructed nor provide any personal details.  I am still kicking myself for being daft enough to answer an anonymous call at all.

Please, everyone, be aware these scam calls/texts/emails are doing the rounds and do not engage with them.  HTH.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback