Fidelity SIPP best equities fund?

Replies

• JohnWinderJohnWinder Forumite
    784 Posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    dunstonh said:
    You will not get advice here.  Advice is regulated.  What you get here are discussion and opinion.   

'In the context of financial services, “advice” is a service which recommends a specific course of action based on consumers’ individual circumstances and goals; ...'  source: Consumer explanation of 'advice' and 'guidance'. Prepared for HM Treasury and the Financial Conduct Authority, 2017.

A moderated, anonymous internet forum is a 'financial service'. Discuss.

• edited 13 June 2021 at 4:11AM
    MordkoMordko Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 June 2021 at 4:11AM
    I would go with one of the multi-asset funds, but judging from your question you need to do a little reading and to formulate what your investment policy is before you start buying financial products. 
  • MFW2026MFW2026 Forumite
    223 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I have the Fidelity multi asset adventurous fund- for a child’s sipp where we are looking at 40+ yrs investment is this a good choice? Any advice appreciated for the best growth in my kids pensions 
    Nurse striving for financial freedom
  • edited 14 October 2021 at 1:32PM
    ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    86.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 October 2021 at 1:32PM
    MFW2026 said:
    I have the Fidelity multi asset adventurous fund- for a child’s sipp where we are looking at 40+ yrs investment is this a good choice? Any advice appreciated for the best growth in my kids pensions 
    A broad solid diversified fund. Only time will tell.  
    Real insurance claim quote : -

"Going to work at 7am this morning I drove out of my drive straight into a bus. The bus was 5 minutes early.".
  • AlbermarleAlbermarle Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MFW2026 said:
    Nobody knows what will be best growth . Might be bitcoin for all we know.
    In the absence of a crystal ball, your choice of fund seems OK .
  • SomeMadeUpNameSomeMadeUpName Forumite
    348 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Is it that the 'allocator' fund is more passive and ergo has lower charges (but lower aspirations)?
  • LintonLinton Forumite
    14.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From a quick look at the data....

Despite their similar names the funds appear to be very different:
     - The Allocator fund keeps to a fixed % of high (80%) and low risk investments (20%).The underlying assets seem to be trackers but the detailed %s may change so the overall fund is not passive.
     - Rather than having fixed high level allocations the Open fund targets a return of 6.5%.  So it is highly active changing its allocations in line with market conditions.

As regards performance the funds are fairly similar
     - Over 5 years the Allocator fund has returned 45% against the Open fund's 42%.  Howover the Allocator fund has been more volatile - it's highs have been higher and its lows lower, though not by a lot.
     - In the same timeframe  the Vanguard Lifestrategy 80  fund, comparable with the Allocator, returned 50% and the HSBC Global StRategy Dynamic Portfolio, again a similar sort of fund  56%

To be honest I dont see a lot to recommend about either the Allocator or Open funds nor anything to strongly criticise.   They both seem to do much the same job though in vey different ways with similar apparently ordinary results.  I think there are better options  in the same sector from other providers.

• AlbermarleAlbermarle Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fidelity have a facility where they choose funds for you based on your risk/growth appetite . A kind of robo advisor section of the website called Navigator.
    If you say you want to aim for good growth , it offers you the Open fund as a managed fund ( OCF 1.1%) or the low cost Allocator fund at 0.2%.
    As Linton has pointed out the cheaper one has done better recently , probably due to the lower fee.

One complication with the Allocator fund ( not sure about the Open one) is that it used to have a floating equity % but changed to a fixed one ( 18 months ago?) , so a bit difficult to compare past performance figures .