Non financial - how to prepare for retirement

Options
I'm seriously thinking about retirement and have done the Financial steps of  prepared/monitored a budget, requested all info from pensions, got forecasts from an IFA. It looks like based on our current expenditure (with some slack built in e.g Care, overspending, hubby retiring earlier) we'd be fine.

I am more worried about change from work on me, I'm 54, so most of my friends/colleagues will still be working and my hubby wants to continue for at least a couple of years. I think lockdown working from home will make the shock less than it would be (e.g. no 3 hour commute!). I might pitching it to myself as a sabbatical so that I feel its less of a step.

What are did you do or wish you had done when you retired, started thinking of retirement? What did it feel like when work didn't frame your day?

Comments

• kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    3 hour commute?  Good grief.  Why not "retire" and then do a little self-employed work, while paying the cheap-as-chips self-employed NICs?  
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Fabtasia
    Fabtasia Posts: 35 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, it was 1.5 hours there and back. The central line commute often involved people shoutjng as they were so stressed.  Work agreed that I'm not doing it 5 days a week again.  I think it's great to hear how people have managed the transition, even if it's doing something different as a job.

• marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    edited 9 June 2021 at 3:53PM
    Options
    On the run up to retirement, I ...
    • Moved to a house in the part of the country I fancied retiring to.
    • Moved to a 4-day week.  Changed jobs within the company to one with less stress/easier to exit from [with boss' support].
    • Spent a day a week volunteering in something that I fancied doing when I retired.
    • Bought the puppy I'd always wanted.

• sheslookinhot
    sheslookinhot Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Think about going part time for a spell, gradually easing yourself to retirement.
    Mortgage free
    Vocational freedom has arrived
  • Nick9967
    Nick9967 Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 June 2021 at 12:51PM
    Options
    Seriously go for it, I am incredibly de-stressed after leaving my midlands - London commute of years , trains, tubes, people ahhhh! home for tea now! breakfast before I leave, ready to retire in 4 years (54 now) commuting gave me the basis of my pension and paid most of my mortgage off so am grateful for that, now I learn to live with less (honestly I see no difference now, no £100 pm on Starbucks, stopped smoking, no £7k on travel etc etc etc yet my salary is about 35% of what it was) don't need to spend now to stay contented, life is far far to unpredictable and short to worry about work unless you do something you love, which is rare! 

• Fabtasia
    Fabtasia Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    I have thought about asking for part time - at the end of the day if I don't ask, I won't get.
    I've been looking at volunteering ops, the ones I would like to do, need free time in the week so that's definately one for the list.
    The costs of on the go food / coffee is an eye opener, I did try and take food in but I used to find I'd eaten my lunch by 10am! 
    It's encouraging that people seem to have found their groove.
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,924 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    great thread. I'm 2-3 years away from financial goals.  I think my first two years are decluttering, home renovation  and ebaying it (with lots of restful walks and coffees out) then we'll see!!

I agree about WFH (although done both) but now when I get to 30 minutes in the car I get restless and bored so won't miss that.  For me its either local (v. short drive) or Holiday (v. long drive) none of this mucking about commuting in the middle
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family