Existing Credit Card during Bankruptcy.

Options
Hi
I am halfway (6 months ) of a bankruptcy. The Argos Card I had with £750 balance has been closed but the £500 Amazon card remains open. Obviously I have not used the Credit at all and the balance has remained £0 since I declared myself BR, but If I was to use it, will this be classed as BR offence? 
Thank You

Comments

• luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I had to hand mine over to the examiner 
  • Sonic101
    Sonic101 Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, I believe the rules are that you cannot apply for more than £500 worth of credit without letting the lender know you're bankrupt. So technically, if you used under £500 worth credit you wouldn't be committing an offence. 
    I suspect it's just a technical glitch and if you tried to use the card it wouldn't let you. But in any case, I personally wouldn't go there in case it opens a can of worms...not worth it. 
  • bvizion
    bvizion Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had to hand mine over to the examiner 
    I was never asked to be honest. All my other accounts got closed, except for the NetWest basic bank account. For some reason this Amazon card remains active with £500 available. 
  • bvizion
    Options
    Sonic101 said:
    Well, I believe the rules are that you cannot apply for more than £500 worth of credit without letting the lender know you're bankrupt. So technically, if you used under £500 worth credit you wouldn't be committing an offence. 
    I suspect it's just a technical glitch and if you tried to use the card it wouldn't let you. But in any case, I personally wouldn't go there in case it opens a can of worms...not worth it. 

You are absolutely right. Is more a case of curiosity really as I am coping OK right now and learning to live without any credit. 
  • Minkym00
    Minkym00 Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Was there a credit balance on the card when you went bankrupt?
  • bvizion
    Options
    Minkym00 said:
    No, the balance was zero. The £500 credit was untouched, as I did use mostly my bank card to make purchases. 
  • Morfx
    Morfx Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    bvizion said:
    Minkym00 said:
    No, the balance was zero. The £500 credit was untouched, as I did use mostly my bank card to make purchases. 
    When filling out your BR form, it ask's you to list all accounts, not just ones your indebted to.. Was this missed off your paperwork?
  • bvizion
    Options
    Yes, it was. So was the Argos card (Zero balance and £750 credit) and flexible credit account from Currys PC World with £3500 credit and zero balance. These both were closed once I submitted the BR application. I thought BR automatically effects all your credit accounts. Anyway, I will not be using this until BR ends at least. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback