Should I cancel my PPI while complaining to FOS?

Options
Hi,
I have been trying to get my PPI back from FirstPlus. They believe they have done everything correctly and pointed me in the direction of the FSO (which I have done). They have also offered me as a gesture of goodwill and not any admission of guilt, an additional rebate of £5200 on top of the £2700 they say I am allowed.
  1. Should I accept this even though I have complained to the FOS?
  2. If I do will it affect my complaint with the FOS
  3. If I don't and the FOS say no mis-selling has taken place, will I be able to accept it then?
  4. Should I cancel the PPI now to save on my outgoings while all this is taking place and still hope the FOS uphold my complaint?
My thoughts are to write back to FP accepting the offer 'without predjudice', cancelling my PPI, but explaining I have continued with my complaint to the FOS.

Can anyone advise? Thanks

Comments

• boingingian
    Options
    sorry, forgot to say the PPI was for £14200 and put as single premium on my loan back in May 2006
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    If they are going to give you a partial refund does this not mean it will be cancelled anyway?
  • boingingian
    Options
    If they are going to give you a partial refund does this not mean it will be cancelled anyway?

I presume it would be cancelled, but if I cancelled, would it affect my complaint to the FOS?
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    I don't think so.
    The fact that they are prepared to give you a partial refund indicates to me that they don't really have a 100% case that they are in the right.
  • petermb_2
    petermb_2 Posts: 1,565 Forumite
    Options
    I dont think that FP will allow you to go to FP if they are to make you a good will gesture. They will normally ask you to sign a full and final settlement agreement.
    I think there may be more in it for you.
    I am a former Broker, former IFA and former compliance officer, for my sins.

However, I have since seen the light.
  • petermb_2
    petermb_2 Posts: 1,565 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry I did mean FP will not allow you to go to FOS.
    I am a former Broker, former IFA and former compliance officer, for my sins.

However, I have since seen the light.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport