Replies

• coffeehoundcoffeehound Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    JL have mis-described that -- it is a semi-automatic espresso machine -- not a bean-to-cup.

Do you want a semi-automatic espresso machine + grinder, or do you want a fully-automatic bean-to-cup machine?
  • waqasahmedwaqasahmed Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    JL have mis-described that -- it is a semi-automatic espresso machine -- not a bean-to-cup.

Do you want a semi-automatic espresso machine + grinder, or do you want a fully-automatic bean-to-cup machine?
    I'm not actually sure tbh. I want something that makes me barista quality coffee without having to have any barista style training. Essentially I want a quick coffee, but I don't like the cheap-y Tassimos and the like
  • coffeehoundcoffeehound Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    waqasahmed said:
    I'm not actually sure tbh. I want something that makes me barista quality coffee without having to have any barista style training. Essentially I want a quick coffee, but I don't like the cheap-y Tassimos and the like
    A bean-to-cup machine will be best then.  

Hopefully someone can now give you some buying advice for one of those ..
  • GDB2222GDB2222 Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aeropress is cheaper, and needs no training. Obviously, it’s not automatic. Buy a decent grinder.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    GDB2222 said:
    Aeropress is cheaper, and needs no training. Obviously, it’s not automatic. Buy a decent grinder.
    I did have a look into that, and it's definitely value for money, but I'd prefer to automate away household tasks as much as possible. 
  • HappibunniHappibunni Forumite
    62 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I bought the Jura Ena 8 from JL last year. Good machine, straightforward to use, does beans or ground. Rinses itself before and after use. Still more expensive than some machines but wanted one that was easy to use with no Barista experience required. Jura website sometimes has them reduced for simple reasons e.g. no box, might be worth a look. 
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barista quality i can never get my head around that .
    I use a simple Delonghi machine  and no longer grind my own ,nor buy overpriced designer coffee .
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I bought the Jura Ena 8 from JL last year. Good machine, straightforward to use, does beans or ground. Rinses itself before and after use. Still more expensive than some machines but wanted one that was easy to use with no Barista experience required. Jura website sometimes has them reduced for simple reasons e.g. no box, might be worth a look. 
    Thanks. I take it you essentially get barrista quality coffee and it's fully automatic? 
  • GeordieGeorgeGeordieGeorge Forumite
    500 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    The best I’ve found, after trying many types, is a stovetop “moka” coffee pot, with Lavazza or Illy espresso grind coffee, kept in the fridge.
    I’d suggest trying this, it’s about £20 for the pot, and you might like it as much as I do.
  • maisie_catmaisie_cat Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Academoney Grad
    ✭✭✭
    Since 2000 I have had the following:
    Gaggia classic with separate grinder, fine for one person but too slow for two people
    Kitchenaid artisan 2 boiler that broke after 10 months, we had to wait for JL to fix/replace so we bought a 
    second hand plumbed in commercial monster that was a metre wide, lovely machine but too big
    then a La Pavoni Europiccola that I'd wanted for decades and was a huge dissapointment
    then another plumbed in Fracino Bambino that we left in the last house in 2019
    replaced that with a Sage The Oracle that cost £995 and it makes lovely coffee, I can't believe it's now £1500
    Much prefer the dose/grind/tamp in one operation than previous machines, the automatic milk frothing is lovely, although I'm aware that the fancier the technology, the more things to go wrong.
    Apart from the Fracino we've managed to get our money back when we sold the machines.