Wedding venue has hiked their fees

Help Daughter has gone into meltdown.  Wedding venue booked for sept 21, at all times they knew she was going to have the actual ceremony in their newly built wedding ceremony venue and they promised it would be ready and licensed and she could go ahead and book the registrar.   Deposit paid April 20, agreed price £6k.  Less than 4 months to go they have now come back and said it will cost another £600 to use the licensed wedding ceremony venue.   I feel it’s absolutely outrageous. Comments help etc needed please

Replies

• Does your daughter havw a written contract with the deposit and total amount?
    Total unsecured debt January 2020: £36k current £13824

• lorrainea255lorrainea255 Forumite
    4 Posts
    First Post
    She does, but Ive not read it, there will be the usual clauses I’ve no doubt including increasing fees. Even still I think it’s outrageous that she is being asked to pay this extra fee as an existing client at such short notice.  I appreciate they have suffered financially through Covid.  Honestly feel they should be targeting this increase at new bookings 
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    32.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Read the contract and see what it says about using the newly built wedding ceremony venue.
    Did your daughter specifically ask if use of the newly built wedding ceremony venue was included in the £6k?
    Or did she assume it was included?

4 Posts
    First Post
    Unfortunately nothing in the contract about new building.  She always asked if the new building would be ready, So that  she could book the registrar.  But at all times it was said that she would be using their new ceremony barn.  They have apologised for not making it clear, not much we can do, too late to book anywhere else as she would lose hefty deposit, but they have given her 50% discount to use the new barn, which we have decided to live with.  Thanks all 
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    32.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Thanks for updating the situation.
    Just a simple case of talking at cross-purposes and assumptions.
    Glad the venue have helped you out.
    Relax and enjoy the wedding. :)
    4 Posts
    First Post
    Well at least my Daughter is happier now, many thanks