Overdales solicitors

edited 26 May 2021 at 6:30PM in Debt-free wannabe
7 replies 2.2K views
sammysandssammysands Forumite
3 Posts
First Post
edited 26 May 2021 at 6:30PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hello, have received a letter today from overdales solicitors acting on behalf of Lowell .. it says that a ccj was entered against me in 2019 and that I failed to maintain an agreed payment plan.
I didn’t know about the ccj so I never set up a payment plan. 
They are saying that if I don’t pay in full or contact them to set up a payment plan then they will apply for a warrant of control! 
I’m on UC and only just gone back to my part time job after being ill for 7 months and now diagnosed with PTSD.
i cannot afford the pay this debt off and now panicking that I’m goi g to have bailiffs  at the door.. can anyone advise me please 

Replies

• fatbellyfatbelly Forumite
    18.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Is this your only debt and can you afford to pay something?

I would check the ccj story too - do they quote a court reference and can you see it on your credit file?

If you tell me what sort of debt this was initially I can say what sort of bailiff they might go for should they decide to.
  • sammysandssammysands Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    The debt is a credit card I think , and no it doesn’t quote a court reference ... I can afford to pay something .. probably 5-10 pound a month  
    18.1K Posts
    Forumite
    Well I wouldn't be doing anything until you know 100% what this was, that it was yours, that there is a ccj and what the particulars of claim were (the courts can email you this)

If it was a credit card then it is  a debt covered by the Consumer Credit Act, which means that, if they do choose to employ bailiffs, they have to use your local court bailiff. Now he/she is an employee of the court and not one of the knuckle-draggers that the private firms employ. So you can have a reasonable conversation should it come to that.

For now, before you part with any money, ask them (you can probably do this by email if you don't want to write) for the court reference and the court used, then email that court with name, address and reference and ask them to confirm, and send the particulars of claim.

If you're then happy all is legit, offer the £5
  • sammysandssammysands Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    Thank you so much for your help 
  • Jossy315Jossy315 Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post
    Hi sammysands,

I just received a similar letter now saying CCJ was entered against my name in 2019. Likewise I don't know about the ccj so I never set up a payment plan and that they said I failed to maintain an agreed payment plan.

Please kindly share the outcome and how you went about it after the above advice. Thanks 

18.1K Posts
    Forumite
    Jossy315 said:
    Hi sammysands,

I just received a similar letter now saying CCJ was entered against my name in 2019. Likewise I don't know about the ccj so I never set up a payment plan and that they said I failed to maintain an agreed payment plan.

Please kindly share the outcome and how you went about it after the above advice. Thanks 

Just because you've had the same letter doesn't mean your case is the same. For example, was it a credit card?

Follow the process:

For now, before you part with any money, ask them (you can probably do this by email if you don't want to write) for the court reference and the court used, then email that court with name, address and reference and ask them to confirm, and send the particulars of claim.
  • Jossy315Jossy315 Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post
    Thank you