Reduction in payments due to second child

Any help on this would be much appreciated.  In the simplest terms, this is my situation; 
  • I currently pay maintenance to my first partner for a child - these payments are made direct with the CMS stating how much it should be (changes year on year).
  • Myself and my wife had a child in January this year.  I understand that when you have a second child it will impact on any CMS payments already made ( I think they reduce your assessed income).
  • So I contact the CMS in January shortly after the birth and told them about the second child.  They said in order for them to put through an adjustment they need a "reference" number for the new child which effectively acts as proof they exist (they won't accept birth certificates or anything else). 
  • In order to get this reference number they tell me, I need to register the child for Child Benefit regardless of whether or not we are claiming it, which we aren't. 
  • So I send off all the forms to HMRC and sure enough a month or so later a letter drops in stating that we are entitled to child benefit but have chose not to claim it and so on.  But there's no reference number of any kind.

I call the CMS and ask whats happening and they tell me that they are waiting for HMRC to contact them with said reference number.  As of today, still nothing.  

I call HMRC and explain the situation.  They said due to a computer system change they now no longer issue child reference numbers and it's only once the child reaches six months old then a number is generated but this is effectively their NI number.  And in order to even get that number I will "probably" have to contact the department for work & pensions as they can't give it to me.

So at present, I can't get the payments adjusted because the CMS are waiting on a number that HMRC are telling me doesn't exist anymore and the only number I can potentially get is the childs NI number that won't be issued until they are six months old that they might not give me anyway.

I would have thought the above scenario would be pretty common so I'm surprised (but not!) that neither the CMS nor HMRC seem to have a clue as to how this will proceed/resolve.  At the moment I am literally going in circles.

Has anyone else had the same issue?



  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
     So apply for child benefit in payment, get the number, cancel the payments. Depending if your partner works the NI contribution to them for claiming might be useful. 
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards