Company Car plug in hybrid

Options
Hi, I was just curious if anyone here has a plug in hybrid as company car and how that works with electrical costs.
My work place has fleet of people on the road. And with tax and green issues the company and employees are looking at plugins. Only problem is proposed method seems barmy, I think due no one having a better plan.
The proposed plan is company will pay may be a halfof the extra cost of the lease payments over standard petrol car With employees paying the rest. Cost of charger install and electricity to be paid by employee. Currently fuel is paid on company credit card and employee pays there share based on private mileage, and this would not change
So the only way it becomes viable is to have a plug in, but never charge it. Crazy

Comments

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hagar_uk said:
    So the only way it becomes viable is to have a plug in, but never charge it. Crazy

That is one of the major problems with PHEV's - it was particularly so with the Outlander that the cables were still in the original cellophane at the end of the lease term.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,691 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hagar_uk said:
    Hi, I was just curious if anyone here has a plug in hybrid as company car and how that works with electrical costs.
    My work place has fleet of people on the road. And with tax and green issues the company and employees are looking at plugins. Only problem is proposed method seems barmy, I think due no one having a better plan.
    The proposed plan is company will pay may be a halfof the extra cost of the lease payments over standard petrol car With employees paying the rest. Cost of charger install and electricity to be paid by employee. Currently fuel is paid on company credit card and employee pays there share based on private mileage, and this would not change

There's the added problem of people who have no private driveways or live in flats with no suitable electricity supply - it isn't just a case of adding some sort of 'outside plug'.

Have you checked to see how many local charging points there are around where you live (or work)? Some of the supermarkets offer free charging while you shop to encourage shoppers. 

This website contains a lot of useful info: https://www.zap-map.com/charge-points/charging-home/
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Hagar_uk
    Hagar_uk Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    On the plus side our office has installed chargers, downside that is nearly 90 minutes away, and I rarely go there. Other days I travel to random sites in my local area lol Cornwall to Yorkshire. Charging else where not possible really. Luckily my house has a drive with breakerboad right next to front door, so would be very easy to fit a charger. But if I pay for it and the power, the money saving aspect evaporates
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I suspect the company is more interested in being able to make claims about their 'green credentials' than in the additional cost to their employees.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 May 2021 at 2:22PM
    Options
    Marcon said:
    Hagar_uk said:

There's the added problem of people who have no private driveways or live in flats with no suitable electricity supply - it isn't just a case of adding some sort of 'outside plug'.
    Not to mention the masses of people who rent who can't start just installing stuff without the say so of their landlord. There are a lot of problems with electric cars, none of which have really been addressed.

Ultimately OP I agree with the last poster. I imagine your employer doesn't really care about the logistics, not the actual environmentally friendly factor. All they care about is ticking a box to say they've done it.
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hagar_uk said:
    On the plus side our office has installed chargers, downside that is nearly 90 minutes away, and I rarely go there. Other days I travel to random sites in my local area lol Cornwall to Yorkshire. Charging else where not possible really. Luckily my house has a drive with breakerboad right next to front door, so would be very easy to fit a charger. But if I pay for it and the power, the money saving aspect evaporates
    Not entirely. The tax saving from having a hybrid will be considerable. If you want to minimise your outlay then get a hybrid, don't bother getting a charger and just run it on petrol all the time. Not exactly very environmentally friendly but very MSE.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm guessing that part of the employers thinking may be that having a charger installed at your home is something which potentially benefits you beyond the period you work for them or have th company cr - for instance, it may add a bit of value to the house, be something you can use with other vehicles etc. 
    That said, you could propose that they cover the upfront cost (or a proportion of it) on the basis that it it repayable on a pro-rata'd basis if you leave their employment within the next (say) 2 years. Do you know what the cost of installing a charger might be? 

You could also ask for clarification about claiming business mileage - it may be that they think it's too complex to pay for charging and work out what proportion is for  business use - maybe a system of a fixed payment for business mileage would be the answer moving forward - it sounds as though the current system actively disincentivises you from using the car as an electric one . It would help if you were able to offer an alternative to them rather than simply criticizing the current suggtion, though
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback