Paying old debts loans & credit cards

stevemarsbar570217
stevemarsbar570217 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 21 May 2021 at 3:04PM in Debt-free wannabe
We have been paying Lloyds bank for old loans, overdrafts and credit card for about 20 years. These debts were caused by the bank giving us more credit than we could afford, they just kept giving us money. What can we do to clear this debt, l have just been made redunedant and have under gone heart surgery and it is unlikely that l will return to work.
What can we do
Regards steve
(Edited to remove name).

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,
    Sorry you find yourself in this situation, however there is always something you can do, and if you can`t pay, then you must let your creditors know this.

If you could answer a few short questions, it would help greatly in advising you.

How much debt do you have ?
    Are you a homeowner ?
    Have you tested the enforceability of any of your accounts at all ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback