Fluoride Varnish. How long to take to work? Please help

Options
movingon
movingon Posts: 533 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 20 May 2021 at 6:40PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Hi, I hope a dentist might best be able to advise on this problem, or tell me how to proceed.
I have always had a gap between the second premolar and first molar on both sides of upper jaw. I only have two molars each side. About five years ago I began having persistent pain on the left side in this area and my gums were bleeding. I saw three different dentists at my NHS practice and told there was nothing wrong in terms of decay etc and told to just keep flossing. I had been seeing the hygienist regularly and no real problems noted. 
I then moved house and on registering with a new NHS dentist was  told that this particular area of gum had recessed badly and I had a gum pocket which required deep cleaning. I duly had the procedure and apart from a bit of residual sensitivity at the gum line, considered the situation much improved. The new hygienist gave me further tips on how to use my toothbrush and interdentals better and all was well for the next five years. I have been using Colgate Total Protect for Sensitive teeth. Sensodyne stings. 

However , since March the problem has returned. I feel throbbing pain deep in gum area above the area where the gap is between these two teeth.  I've seen the hygienist and she says I do not have a gum pocket- there is no inflammation or bleeding-therefore there is nothing to deep clean. She did an "ordinary clean" and admitted that the area was sensitive. This clean did not help. I saw the dentist on Monday and she agreed the gums are receding, but this is due to aging, not poor hygiene. She put a Fluoride varnish on the gum line. She said there was nothing wrong and did not know what else to do as there is no sign of decay. She did not do an  xray as I had one at the last check up in December. She said I might have a hair line fracture? I do not grind my teeth. The pain is no worse with hot or cold foods , or when chewing. Its just there all the flipping time and its getting me down. I was wondering if I should let it take longer for the varnish to work, or try and get another appointment now (given it is so hard to get one), or if there is anything else I can do?
Any advice gratefully received. Thank you 

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The varnish should be pretty immediate.

I think ringing for another appt is quite justified here. Maybe get that possible fracture investigated further?
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • movingon
    movingon Posts: 533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you . I have got another appt for next week. The receptionist said there may be another charge as this is classed as an emergency. (The appt last week was ahead of my usual check up , but the dentist did a check up at the same time?). 
    How shall I ask for possible fracture to be investigated, given that she said an x ray was not necessary as I had one in December, and in any case an x ray would not show a fracture?

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    It's not really for you to worry about - how any fracture may be investigated. I can't advise on that either, as I don't know what's going on in your case. 

You asked how long it takes fluoride varnish to work, and the answer is it should be pretty quick. If it's not done anything, and the pain is still concerning you, then it's sensible to go back and just get it looked at again. I only mentioned the possible fracture as it was something you'd mentioned in your post. 

There may not be anything wrong with your tooth - sometimes teeth do go a bit more sensitive for a while and no real cause can be found. There may be other things you could try yourself - but that's not for me to advise on as I can't see it. 

But fluoride varnish works quite quickly if it's going to do anything, and if it's not done anything, and your tooth is still troubling you, seeing the dentist again is what you should do, as theirs is the advice you that would be best. 
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback