Do I do equity release?

Options
My husband & I have an interest only mortgage of £60,000. My husband has been told that he only has months to live & I'm sure the morgtage lenders will not let me have the mortgage in my name only. I retired from work due to ill health & receive a small pension. I do not want to sell the house to raise the money to cover the amount owed. We were going to clear the debt with expected inheritance but now circumstances have changed dramatically. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Are you still able to clear the debt with that inheritance?

The lender isnt going to be able to force your hand to do anything unless your term is coming to an end 
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sorry to hear the situation you are in, but as long as the mortgage was in joint names it will continue in your name only, and the lender can't change that, so hopefully the inheritance plan will still work for you.

• cmhbyandco
    cmhbyandco Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you still able to clear the debt with that inheritance?

The lender isnt going to be able to force your hand to do anything unless your term is coming to an end 

Yes, the debt will be covered with inheritance still. Thanks for the information.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback