Mother in law wants to put house in husbands name

Options
DayDreamerandGeneralWaster
DayDreamerandGeneralWaster Posts: 539 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Just that really. Joint with a sibling and she will live in it until she dies.

She said it's to make it easier when she dies. No current health issues and she is in hr late 60s. However l am concerned about the implications of this as my husband hasn't given it a second thought. Any potential tax issues? What happens if one of them dies before her, she is incapacitated etc? What about liability for maintenance?

There is no mortgage. 

Comments

• !!!!!! name but bam3 bloody phone! 
  • Yes this is what l was worried about. Yes we own a property in our names. 
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It's a bad idea and should remain her asset, look up everything I've listed. This question pops up all the time due to the mistaken belief it's easier, or protects the property for being used as care home fees, but without looking at the bigger impact of the action.

"If one does before her it forms part of their estate." Should have read "If one dies before her it forms part of their estate."
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,689 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Dumb idea, which won’t simplify things, and may lead to her losing the roof over her head. 
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I believe that you can transfer ownership without a solicitor, but would you be happy to do that?
    If not, then the solicitor could cost someone around £1,000
  • gizmo111
    gizmo111 Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options

She said it's to make it easier when she dies. No current health issues and she is in hr late 60s. However l am concerned about the implications of this as my husband hasn't given it a second thought. Any potential tax issues? What happens if one of them dies before her, she is incapacitated etc? What about liability for maintenance?

There is no mortgage. 
    Why does she think it would make it easier?
    Mama read so much about the dangers of drinking alcohol and eating chocolate that she immediately gave up reading.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,297 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options

There is no mortgage. 
    These kind of threads crop up regularly on the forum. How does MIL think it will make things easier? Two issues I can see cropping up are deprivation of capital should she require care in the future and capital gains tax when she passes and the house is sold.  If MIL’s plan is to maximise tax due then this is the way to go about it. 
  • 68ComebackSpecial
    Options
    gizmo111 said:

There is no mortgage. 
    Why does she think it would make it easier?
    My MIL suggested transferring her flat to us a few weeks ago as she genuinely thought that having the property already in our names would making the selling process easier either if she needed to enter a care home or upon her death. In her case the idea definitely wasn't to avoid care home fees or IHT.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback