Booking train in advance when engineering works.

Trying to book a train for July. Preston to London. Currently showing timetable unavailable. Hard to find info online as to when it changes. Best I can find is 6 weeks before date. Tried calling and after being on hold 15 mins gave up. Anyone have any experience of this and when tickets become available? Thanks. 

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,521 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    We are in unprecedented times for railway timetables and ticket availability, couple this with engineering works and construction of HS2 around Euston and it gets even more complicated.

All you can do is look every day until the timetables are released.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've just looked on Train Split split ticketing website and it has given me a price for 29th July on Avanti West Coast direct to Euston.

I picked the date at random given your lack of information. 

I suggest that you try looking again. 
  • echo82
    echo82 Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It should be 12 weeks ahead, but there are lots of issues at the moment. National Rail gives a list of the dates when the timetable is confirmed up to, which is when advance tickets etc. normally become available:

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/44703.aspx

Preston - London is Avanti West Coast, and I assume its the weekend as you mention engineering works. At the moment it looks like they are confirmed up to 26/27 June for weekends.

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,817 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Neil49 said:
    I've just looked on Train Split split ticketing website and it has given me a price for 29th July on Avanti West Coast direct to Euston.

I picked the date at random given your lack of information. 

I suggest that you try looking again. 

29th July is a Thursday - I'm guessing that the OP is looking at travelling at the weekend, which is when the majority of engineering works take place. If you try putting 3rd, 10th, 17th or 24th July into Train Split, I think you'll find that it says that there are no tickets avaialble (because they are 'either sold out or not yet open for booking' - I suspect the latter)
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A quick search on the Avanti West Coast website shows that the only weekend service running between Preston and Euston during July is on the 10th and 11th. Even during June there are few weekend services showing up on the calendar.

I think the OP should start looking for alternative means of travel. 
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Trying to book a train for July. Preston to London. Currently showing timetable unavailable. Hard to find info online as to when it changes. Best I can find is 6 weeks before date. Tried calling and after being on hold 15 mins gave up. Anyone have any experience of this and when tickets become available? Thanks. 

When is your journey, i.e. date and time?
  • GlasgowExpat2
    GlasgowExpat2 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 May 2021 at 9:21AM
    You can set up a alert to notify you when tickets are released
    https://www.avantiwestcoast.co.uk/tickets-and-savings/ways-to-save/advance-ticket-alerts
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback