Money Moral Dilemma: Should I have paid for alcohol-free drinks at a bring-your-own restaurant?

MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 334
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
MSE Staff
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

Some friends and I recently ate at a local bring-your-own-bottle restaurant (outside, of course). I don't drink, so brought alcohol-free beer. The owner wasn't happy as the restaurant sells the same beer, though at five times the price I paid. I felt it was unfair I should be asked to pay inflated prices for alcohol-free drinks when my friends were free to bring as much cheap booze as they wanted. In the end, the owner said she'd 'allow it just this once'. But who was right?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value.

B  If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
  Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,189
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Isn't this a non-dilemma, since you didn't have to pay?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Hodgie
    Hodgie Posts: 22
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 12 May 2021 at 5:05AM
    Why not call into a supermarket and pick up food on the way to the restaurant; I'm sure they will heat it up for you?  That way you won't have a bill to pay at the end of the meal.
  • fuzBear
    fuzBear Posts: 10
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you think the prices are unfair, drink tap water. 

The restaurant either doesn't hold a licence or doesn't want to obtain one. But trying to encourage business by permitting BYOB. I can't think of any restaurant that would allow turning up with your own drinks (outside of BYOB). What's in it for them? Shouldn't we all do our bit, to help local businesses to recover. 
  • MarcMCFC1986
    MarcMCFC1986 Posts: 77
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    PaulTee said:
    Ask your friends for empty beer bottles. Soak these in water so that the labels come of. Do the same with the alcohol free beer. Now put thelabels from the alcohol beer on to the alcohol free beer so that it now appears that they qualify under the BYOB.
    Seriously, presumably alcohol free beer is still beer so qualifies.
    Isn't BYOB 'Bring Your Own Booze'? And alcohol free isn't booze.
  • BYOB also means 'bring your own booze/bottle", it's purely for alcoholic drinks. You should have purchased their non-alcoholic beer, had a soft drink or nipped out to the local off-licence.
    Hodgie said:
    Why not call into a supermarket and pick up food on the way to the restaurant; I'm sure they will heat it up for you?  That way you won't have a bill to pay at the end of the meal.
    But this was a "bring your own beer" restaurant. He brought his own beer. It just happened to be alcohol free.
    BYOB is Booze/Bottle/Beer in other words alcoholic drinks. All drinks should be purchased at the establishment unless you're drinking water or alcoholic drinks. If in doubt check with the restaurant before you go.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback