MSE Poll: Are you working from home – and would you like to keep doing so?

Options
2»

Comments

• ziggycj
    ziggycj Posts: 306 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Marly2 said:
    It's great for the people who can work from home, but it's infuriating for people who want to get things accomplished. Time and time again I have had to hold on the phone for hours on end and then when someone answers it's the same excuse. "We're working from home because of Covid and we don't have the manpower to deal with everything."  Covid has been too much of an excuse, if you are used to working at home, then why the excuses and what's stopping you from doing your jobs properly?  I'm not saying all people who work from home are the same way, but I have called many people in many different capacities from Councils, to shops, to utility companies. It's always the same, an hour or 2 wait on the phone and then the excuse that they are "working from home" and all of a sudden everything is more difficult for them or more complicated.
    That's not a working from home issue, that's a reduced workforce or poor equipment issue. If you can work on a laptop or phone in an office, it shouldn't cause any issue doing so from home. It's only an issue if it's the type of job which regularly needs to ask someone else for the answer quickly (which a lot of call centre type jobs tend to do "I'll just go ask my supervisor").

However, I used to work for a Council and trust me, they are not "used to working from home". This was a shock to the system, hopefully they've improved by now.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The only blockers I've found is taking payments from home is not allowed at where I work, that's the only thing I've found that can't be done as well as being in the office.
  • Spinninsweetness
    Options
    Love home working, get more done even with all the extra work COVID has brought with it, no interruptions from people who continually want to gossip and chitchat, no queuing for the microwave to be available or to make a cuppa, no travel to and from work, saving on petrol costs and clothing and makeup, flexibility with children etc.  I feel I've thrived in lockdown! 
  • embers123
    embers123 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I'm working from home and while I love the freedom I do miss some of the office environment. But it sounds like I'll be moving to a hybrid model so hopefully will end up with the best of both worlds!
  • Claddagh_Noir
    Options
    I would like to keep on working from home. I have found that I can concentrate more because there is no inane office chat to pretend to be interested in to or inadvertently overhear!

I like being at home because I can do odd jobs about the house as I am taking a break from working.

I do pop into the office a couple of days a week since the lockdown has been lifted in July, mainly to send out paperwork etc.   

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback