Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Can the DWP be SAR'd?

in Benefits & Tax Credits
7 replies 511 views
Hi,
I have quite a strange uncommon surname and as far as I'm aware know of no one else to date with the same full name.
Everybody on the front line of the Job Centre has been great.
Very oddly, today, have had this message come through from Ipswich Council.  Does DWP really just randomly say things that aren't true? How on earth would DWP say this to a council, without allowing me to respond or asking me in the first instance.  It doesn't seem professional even for DWP.
I approached my council for council tax reduction help as I entered a new claim for UC - I paid full council tax end of March at £92.00 from wages I had got, I was quite taken aback with a curt reply from Ipswich Council they no longer process a claim immediately regardless whether you've applied for UC and insisted I had to have the first month's UC statement through before anything could be allowed - hence another payment of council tax in full end of April as just scared silly if I missed paying. To this point I just get cut and paste rather unhelpful replies from them (to not assist people until 5 weeks gone on UC it's like pushing people to get the 1st time advances simply to keep up with paying council tax in full.) unlike everyone else I'd dealt with so I just put up and continued making payment in full.
I am really shocked today, to receive the following message from Ipswich Council I've moved to Kent, in a first I've heard of it! - I am now soooo very concerned something fraudy is going on, can I subject access DWP? -just what I needed on top of my Covid19 jab so my arm was really tense : ( 
We have received a notification from the DWP confirming your Universal Credit award therefore we are now able to assess your entitlement to Council Tax Reduction, 
however the DWP have also advised that you have changed address on 27th April 2021, moving to ?? Broad St, Ramsgate, Kent, CT11 ///.
Please confirm whether this change of address is correct, and that you moved to Xx Broad St, Ramsgate, Kent on 27th April 2021.
We have pended your claim for Council Tax Reduction while we await your response to this email.

Re Joined Slimming Word in group 02/06/21   ..   Want to lose every week! 5.5 lbs gone to date

Replies

• Alice_HoltAlice_Holt Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • keepcalmandstayoutofdebtkeepcalmandstayoutofdebt Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, I was hoping somehow it was a scam or spoof email but it appears not. I have no connection whatsoever to Ramsgate so I’ll see what happens next.

Re Joined Slimming Word in group 02/06/21   ..   Want to lose every week! 5.5 lbs gone to date

4.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The council have said it was done via ATLAS (automated transfer to local authority systems notification) my large concern with this shambles is whether DWP will be notifying HMRC and the likes. Just street view googled the address - very interesting. Not a response yet on the UC journal.

• dekaspace1dekaspace1 Forumite
    161 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    I do know 10 years ago the DWP informed my local council that they believed I was still a student, so the local council stopped my lha payment and it was a nightmare to sort and took local councellor to fix.
    It could be dodgy, or it could be a screw up but its common the innocent party gets messed about in situations like this.
  • tomtom256tomtom256 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    ATLAS information could be from a few sources and normally is via an employer getting a digit or two wrong on a NINO of a new starter, when they notify HMRC.

4.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Many thanks, this is so interesting.
    That does make sense as I am sure it was on the 27th April when a recruitment agency seemed to be doing a payroll run / it was decided that I would get paid.

4.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to update my bank account was emptied yesterday in purchases from 'gift vouchers' originating overseas.
    This is looking like it was a scam, although never any links to click on.
    Time to say Good bye to the Halifax after 8 years and I feel like taking a harmer to the refurbished lap top on rent.