Types of new and old tennis raquets?

edited 6 May 2021 at 7:48PM in Sports & fitness MoneySaving
4 replies 81 views
twopennytwopenny Forumite
3K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
Forumite
edited 6 May 2021 at 7:48PM in Sports & fitness MoneySaving
So I've taken up tennis again after 50yrs lol. Nearly killed me the first time.
Due to covid and the on off can play can't play I've been using a borrowed a second hand raquet to play with. A Wilson Europs Ace.
I still have my Slazenger Panther Power which was state of the art in the dark ages and is like new. Metal with a hard plastic base of the strings.
Do you think it's worth me getting it restrung at the cost of £20? Three strings have broken. I'm wondering how stable the plastic bit is after years. It's been kept in a case and dry.
Or have to fork out for a brand new one?.

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

Replies

• edited 6 May 2021 at 8:49PM
    Manxman_in_exileManxman_in_exile Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 6 May 2021 at 8:49PM
    For £20 I'd just get it restrung and try it out.  If you've got a tennis club (or a decent sports shop that does restringing) nearby, you could ask their advice as to whether it should still be usable.

I am still using the same tennis racket that I bought in 1990 or 1991.  A Prince Precision CTS 90.  I'm more than happy with it still.  (Like your racket it went many many years without being used!).

[EDIT:  It has been restrung several times since I started playing again]

If you try a modern racket you'll probably find it much lighter than you are used to.
  • edited 6 May 2021 at 9:07PM
    twopennytwopenny Forumite
    3K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 6 May 2021 at 9:07PM
    Thanks Manxman. That's a good idea to ask a couple of members that do this. Hadn't thought what with being distanced/not seeing people for a while.
    Yes, the rackets were the right weights for me though I think I have more muscle now.
    The main one is gold with a scarlet handle and pristine. I don't get much that's flash so would like to keep it.
    Maybe the gold will catch the sunlight and temporarily blind my opponent  ;)

• twopennytwopenny Forumite
    3K Posts
    Forumite
    The club members were very excited to see such an old top of the range racket in pristine condition and suggested I sell it but the going rate is only 10pounds less commission so I got it restrung for 20 
    I'm now playing with a gold racket with black strings!
    Just need my shots to be up to gold standard now  :)

• Manxman_in_exileManxman_in_exile Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    That's the way to do it - keep it retro!

Apart from tennis and my 30 year old Prince racket, I do a lot of running and play dabble in golf too.  Shoes and socks are the only things that get replaced regularly.  My golf clubs and clothing are all from 2004 and all my running clothing is at least 20 years old.

Golfers and runners are all fascinated by vintage kit.