Buying from the USA when seller isn't collecting VAT

Hi.
I'm considering getting a T-shirt from spreadshirt.com - cost will be about US$20 for the item and $11 shipping.  I've been through the checkout process (up to committing to buy) and at no point does the site say that it's collecting the Supply VAT due on the product (which sites outside the UK are "supposed" to do now for purchases below £135).  The T&Cs of the site say "If, according to applicable law, the goods are subject to sales taxes, import duties, import brokerage fees, or other taxes or fees in the recipient's country, and if these are not already collected at checkout, then the customer has the sole responsibility to pay these taxes and fees.". 
How likely is it that customs will require me to pay the VAT when the item arrives?  I'm happy to pay the VAT but it will inevitably mean a courier handling charge and they are generally pretty steep (£8-£11 or maybe more depending on the courier).
Thanks

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,647 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Hi.
    I'm considering getting a T-shirt from spreadshirt.com - cost will be about US$20 for the item and $11 shipping.  I've been through the checkout process (up to committing to buy) and at no point does the site say that it's collecting the Supply VAT due on the product (which sites outside the UK are "supposed" to do now for purchases below £135).  The T&Cs of the site say "If, according to applicable law, the goods are subject to sales taxes, import duties, import brokerage fees, or other taxes or fees in the recipient's country, and if these are not already collected at checkout, then the customer has the sole responsibility to pay these taxes and fees.". 
    How likely is it that customs will require me to pay the VAT when the item arrives?  I'm happy to pay the VAT but it will inevitably mean a courier handling charge and they are generally pretty steep (£8-£11 or maybe more depending on the courier).
    Thanks
    Assuming you are in the UK, why not avoid the problem by using their UK site? Shipping is certainly much cheaper!
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback